Welcome to Arkansas State University!

Business Advising Center Hub - FAQ's


  • What are the hours of operation?

    The Business Advising Center (BAC) is open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday.  The BAC is located in the College of Business, Room 101.

  • Do I have to pursue a minor? How do I add a minor?

    Students unsure about the College of Business majors can make an appointment directly with the COB Advising Coordinator, Ms. Christine Perry.  If you are already certain of the Business degree you wish to declare, you can email Mrs. Jessica McBride.  In your email, you must list the following information: Name; A-State ID#; and Degree and/or Minor you wish to declare.

  • What are elective classes?

    In each of the College of Business (COB) degrees, electives are a part of the graduation requirements.  There are three types of electives for the COB degrees: 

    Unrestricted:  Any subject and level.

    Upper-Level:  Any subject but must be a 3000/4000 level course.

    Major:  Elective classes as defined by the major that are typically chosen from a list of several options.

  • How many hours are considered full or part time?

    Full-Time:  A student enrolled in 12-15 credit hours during the fall and spring term or 6 hours during a summer term are considered a full-time student.  Part-Time:  A student enrolled in 6 to 9 credit hours during the fall and spring term or 3 hours during a summer term are considered a part-time student. 

    Eighteen (18) hours in fall and spring and six (6) hours per summer term for a total of twelve (12) for a full summer is considered a maximum load a student can carry during a regular semester.  Students who require more than eighteen (18) hours in the fall and spring and twelve (12) hours for summer must complete the Request for Overload form that is found on the Registrar’s Office page.  This form requires signatures from the student, department chair and dean.

  • When can I register for classes?

     You must be advised each term before you will be eligible to register for the next semester’s classes.  The College of Business begins advising students the Monday after the schedule goes live.  Make sure to schedule and meet with your advisor prior to registration opening for the next semester.  Not doing this step will keep you from registering in a timely fashion and could result in you not being able to get into the specific classes you need for your degree. For new and re-admitted students, you must be formally admitted into A-State and advised by a Business Advisor before you will gain access to the online registration system.  Registration is based on your classification including all hours earned.For current students, registration is permitted according to hours earned plus current schedule. 

  • How do I register for classes?

    The registration guide was setup to help students navigate A-State’s online registration system.  This pdf lists step-by-step instructions on how to register for classes.Still confused?  Contact the Business Advising Center directly.

  • What is the difference between CVN, WEB and WEBA classes?

     CVN: Is a traditional class located in a video lab that streamlines to our campuses in Beebe, Mt. Home and West Memphis.

    WEB:  A class where all quizzes, homework and tests will be completed online.

    WEBA:  A class where quizzes and homework will be submitted using the online format but all exams will be held on the correspondence campus.

  • How do I know which course I need to complete for my degree?

     Check your degree worksheet, according to your catalog or bulletin year.  You can view each College of Business degree worksheet online.

  • What is the tuition cost at A-State?

    To get an estimate of the cost of classes at A-State, you can can utilize the “tuition estimator.”  

  • Why do I need to be advised?

    As an integral part of teaching and learning at A-State, advising is a student-centered, collaborative process designed to engage students in educational planning to promote academic, personal and professional development, while considering diverse interest, abilities and goals  Academic advising processes assist in clarifying and reinforcing optimum course sequences to plan degree completion on a full-time or part-time basis.

  • I don't think I am going to get the required C in my Accounting, Business Calculus or Microcomputer Apps class(es). What should I do?

    First, consider meeting with your instructor to go over your quizzes and tests and get help in the areas you do not understand. 

    Second, contact the Learning Commons, (870) 972-2080 to see if there are any available tutors in the subject you do not understand.

    Third, if you feel you cannot bring your grade up, you can drop the class before the drop deadline.  The deadline can be found on the Academic Calendar, which is located on the Registrar's Office website.  PLEASE SEE YOUR ADVISOR BEFORE YOU DROP A CLASS.

  • I think I know all the material on a specific class. Do I have to take the class?

    You must have credit for any specific class listed on your degree worksheet.  A-State provides a College Level Examination Program (CLEP).  You can contact the A-State Testing Center at (870) 972-2038 to inquire to see if the CLEP exam is offered for the class in question.  Each exam costs $100.00 and must be schedule through the Testing Center.

  • My override requests were denied and now those classes are full. What should I do?

    To get into a closed class that you were denied an override you will be required to keep checking for an open seat in the specific class within Self Service. Please be aware that submitting an override request form does not guarantee that you will be issued the override needed to enroll in the course.

  • How do I apply for graduation?

    Students should submit their “intent to graduate” form by the first week of classes on their final semester here at A-State. 

  • When do I request a graduation pre-check?

    Graduation pre-checks are mandatory in the College of Business and are completed the semester before graduation.  As long as you are registered for the capstone class MGMT 4813 – Strategic Management your final term, you do not have to request pre-check. However, if you are graduating with an A.S. in Accounting, A.S. in Computer & Information Technology, a B.A. in Economics, a B.A. in Economics, Pre-Law, or are a 2nd degree student who is not required to complete MGMT 4813, you will not be on the pre-check list.  To be included on this list, please email Ms. Christine Perry.  Make sure to include your A-State ID# and your major.

  • I dropped a class and want to take it at another institution this summer. How can I make this happen?

    Print out and complete the  “authorization to take courses elsewhere form”.   Get all the necessary signatures and bring this form to Advising Coordinator, Ms. Christine Perry, in BU 101.  Upon receipt, Ms. Perry will schedule an appointment directly with you to discuss and tailor a solution to your specific situation.

    It is also crucial that you discuss any transfer credit plans with your financial aid counselor.

Contact A-State Business Advising Hub

Taylor Ray

Phone: 870-972-3960

Room: 101
Neil Griffin College of Business

Postal Address:
P.O. Box 970
State University, AR  72467