Our students are engaged in a wide range of academic pursuits that include degree programs in 160 undergraduate and graduate fields delivered by 6 different colleges.
- Campus Life
- About A-State
Dr. Ed Owen
Professor of Euphonium/Tuba
Brass Area Coordinator
- D.M.A., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Music Performance and Literature)
- M.M., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ( Music Performance)
- B.A., Arkansas Tech University (Music Education)
- Applied Tuba
- Applied Euphonium
- Chamber Music
- Brass Pedagogy and Techniques
- Research Techniques
- Fine Arts Music
- The Art of Phrasing
- Using the Principles of Italian Bel Canto in Brass Pedagogy
- The Technique of Breathing
- Brass Chamber Music of Jan Koetsier
- The Appropriate Use of Solo and Chamber Brass Music for Worship Services.
- International Tuba & Euphonium Association
- College Music Society
- National Association of College Wind and Percussion Instructors
- Music Educator's National Conference
- Arkansas Music Educator's Association
- Arkansas School Band and Orchestra Director's Association
Links of Interests
Arkansas Symphony Orchestra: http://arkansassymphony.org
Delta Symphony Orchestra: http://deltasymphony.org
Dr. Ed Owen is Associate Professor of Music at Arkansas State University. His primary duties include teaching Applied Tuba and Euphonium, conducting the ASU Tuba and Euphonium Ensemble and Brass Choir, and serving as Graduate Program Supervisor. He currently performs as Principal Tuba of the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra and Brass Quintet, the Delta Symphony Orchestra, and the ASU Brass Quintet. A native Arkansan, he received the Bachelor of Arts in Music Education degree from Arkansas Tech University (summa cum laude), the Master of Music in Tuba Performance and Doctor of Musical Arts in Performance and Literature from the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign.
Prior to his appointment at ASU, Dr. Owen served on the faculties of the University of Southern Mississippi, Ouachita Baptist University and Indiana State University. A dedicated and enthusiastic teacher, his students have won solo and quartet competitions at the local, state, and international levels. He has conducted Tuba & Euphonium Ensemble concerts at the International Tuba & Euphonium Conferences in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada and Greensboro, North Carolina.
Dr. Owen's orchestral engagements have included the Meridian Symphony, Champaign-Urbana Symphony, Great Music West Festival Orchestra and Brass Quintet, Sinfonia da Camera, Illinois Contemporary Chamber Players, and the Terre Haute Symphony. As a soloist he has appeared with the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra, the Delta Symphony Orchestra, the Arkansas State University Wind Ensemble, and the Symphonic Bands of Arkansas Tech University, University of Illinois, and Bryant High School. An active clinician, Dr. Owen is in demand for master classes and clinics on brass performance and techniques. He has studied tuba with Andy Anders and Mark Moore.
F: (870) 972-3932
Building: Fine Arts Center