As soon as you set foot on our campus you will know you’ve found the place you can call home.
Our students are engaged in a wide range of academic pursuits that include degree programs in 160 undergraduate and graduate fields delivered by 6 different colleges.
Visit the Office of Academic Affairs & Research >>
- Campus Life
A-State offers unlimited possibilities for students to customize their experience while on campus.
Visit Student Affairs >>
Research engages intellectual curiosity, satisfies the thirst for discovery, and provides an outlet for creativity.
- About A-State
Marking its first hundred years, Arkansas State University continues to expand in exciting ways.
Dr. Gary Edwards
Associate Professor of History
- Ph.D. History, University of Memphis, 2004
- M.A. History, Abilene Christian University, 1996
- B.A. History, Abilene Christian University, 1993
- Fulbright Senior Fellowship in American History
- Guest Professor, John F. Kennedy Institute for North American Studies, Berlin
- Jesse Wills Memorial Fellow, Tennessee Historical Society
- Rural History Seminar Fellow, Newberry Library, Chicago, Illinois
- Humanities Scholar, Making Sense of the American Civil War, National Endowment for the Humanities
- Editorial Advisory Board, Foundations, Johns Hopkins University
- Civil War and Reconstruction
- Early American Republic
- U.S. South
- Antebellum America
- American Civil War
- Civil War Memory
- Slavery and Secession
- Yeomen Farmers of the Old South
Links of Interests
- Agricultural History Society: www.aghistorysociety.org/
- The Historical Society: histsociety.blogspot.com/
A native of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, Dr. Edwards has enjoyed diverse life experiences which have enhanced his passion for education and scholarship. As a student he completed summer apprenticeships in Cokedale, Colorado and Eldoret, Kenya. He has served as a docent at the Mississippi River Museum and as Associate Editor of The Southern Historian (University of Alabama).
In private life he has volunteered his time in the Apache Nation, Mexico, and Zambia. During a brief respite from academia, he spent time working in the "real world" in Chicago where he married his wife, Michelle. In addition to A-State, Edwards has served as a member of the faculty at both the University of Memphis and the Free University of Berlin.
F: (870) 972-2880
Thursday: 11:00-11:50 and by appointment