Welcome to Arkansas State University!

Personal Vehicle and Mileage

Personal Vehicle

Personal Vehicles and Insurance Coverage - Employees should be aware that when using personal vehicles on state business, their personal automobile insurance is the primary coverage. It is the responsibility of the employee to contact their insurance agent to confirm if "business use" coverage is required. In no circumstance does the State of Arkansas insurance contract provide physical damage coverage for personal vehicles.

Accidents and Traffic Violations - Drivers must report ALL accidents and traffic violations, while operating a State vehicle and/or driving on State business in ANY vehicle, immediately to Motor Pool 680-4852. However, the driver must report all accidents in state vehicles immediately to the claims office listed below if Motor Pool is closed.

Bancorp South Insurance Services
Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Accident and Claims Reporting:

After hours accident and claims reporting:

Mileage Reimbursement

In order to be reimbursed mileage on your personal vehicle, you must be approved to drive and adhere to the following procedures. 

  • Reimbursement is at a rate not to exceed $.42 per mile based on official map mileage of the shortest, most direct route between points of departure, destination, and return. The State will reimburse for official miles driven only. 

  • Should a traveler elect to use a personal vehicle for travel of 500 or more miles (one way), reimbursement is made at a rate not to exceed $.42 per mile based on official map mileage of the most direct route with the total (including meals and lodging en route) not to exceed the cost of commercial airfare or the cost to rent a vehicle through the University (see Trip Optimizer for comparison).
  • For Expense Report purposes, to determine the most cost effective means for vehicle travel, Trip Optimizer is required only if the round trip exceeds 100 miles. Personal vehicles may be used on any trip that is 100 miles or less round trip without using Trip Optimizer.  

  • Determine allowable mileage or use Google Maps or the Mileage Log if your destination is not available on the mileage chart.

  • In the event two or more authorized persons travel in the same vehicle, only one traveler may claim mileage reimbursement.
  • Upload the proof of mileage or utilize the Mileage Calculator on the Personal Car Mileage Expense Type in Concur.

  • The State assumes no responsibility for any maintenance, insurance, operational costs, accidents, or fines incurred by the operator of the vehicle while on official business for the State.

To determine if the traveler is approved to drive contact Sandra Bramblett at extension 2817.