Our students are engaged in a wide range of academic pursuits that include degree programs in 160 undergraduate and graduate fields delivered by 6 different colleges.
- Campus Life
- About A-State
PLA Credit by Examination
Standardized Exams: Students may take a standardized exam to show proficiency of college level learning.
Examples of Standardized testing includes:
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- College-Level Examination (CLEP)
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) (DSST)
Departmental Exams: Students may take a departmental exam in the form of an interview, oral presentation, a performance or demonstration, a written test, or a combination of formats. Departmental exams are developed and evaluated by faculty and/or Deans and Chairs. Exams should be taken prior to the student’s last semester of enrollment preceding graduation.
- Complete the PLA application. On your application make sure you select Exam as your method of PLA.
- Indicate on your application what department/course/exam you are seeking to acquire credit from.
- PLA coordinator will connect you to the department you wish to earn PLA credit from.
- PLA coordinator will help to assist you scheduling your departmental exam.
- The student who wishes to take a departmental challenge examination must pay a $50 non-refundable fee prior to taking each examination. An official form, “Request for Credit by Examination,” may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.
- If applicant takes and successfully passes an exam, they will be awarded credit to their A-State transcript.