Welcome to Arkansas State University!

Academic Clemency

Academic Clemency is a provision allowing a one-time, irrevocable calculation of grade point average and credit hours toward graduation to be based only upon work done after a prolonged separation from college. This provision is provided for undergraduate students who have gained maturity through extended experience outside higher education institutions, and are currently enrolled at Arkansas State University and have demonstrated acceptable academic performance following their return.


Requirements to be satisfied by a student prior to requesting academic clemency toward an undergraduate degree are as follows:

  1. separation* from all academic institutions for at least three years, and then
    *Transcripts showing attempted enrollment ending in withdrawals are not considered to be separation.

  2. completion of a minimum of twelve degree hours of credit courses from a regionally accredited  institution of higher education with a 2.0 or better G.P.A, and

  3. formal application submitted to the Office of the Registrar wherein the student shall specify the semester(s) for which academic clemency is requested, and

  4. fee payment to the A-State Treasurer's Office

How Do I Apply?

Students wanting to apply for academic clemency must meet with a representative in the Office the Registrar in order to determine eligibility. If eligible, the student will be given a formal application to complete and will pay a fee of $30 at the Cashier's Window.

Granted Academic Clemency

Upon approval by the Office of the Registrar, the student will be granted academic clemency. The student’s permanent record will remain a record of all work; however, the student will forfeit the use—for degree purposes at Arkansas State University—of any college or university credit earned for the semesters granted clemency regardless of where the credit was earned.   A-State will honor the Academic Clemency granted by another institution, but will recognize ONLY the clemency from that particular institution. This process will be recorded in the student’s permanent record; and will be noted on the transcript. The date of the clemency will coincide with the date of re-entry following the prolonged separation.