Checkpoint 4: Capstone Internship Check
Candidates must meet the following minimum performance requirements to be validated for the internship.
- Formal admittance into the teacher education program
- Senior standing–a minimum of 90 semester hours
- Pre-Teacher Intern Check Form filed with the Office of Professional Education Programs
- Completion of professional education courses for secondary and K-12 education majors and professional education/major courses for elementary education (K-6), special education (K-12) and middle level (4-8) majors with the exception of the capstone teaching internship semester (students must have a ‘C’ or better in the Professional Education Courses (including Exceptional Child in the Regular Classroom and Educational Psychology; Adaptive PE for PE/Health majors).
- Attainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.70 in all course work and a minimum grade point average of 2.70 in the major area (a minimum of 3.0 in all course work is required for Program of Study (POS) students and a minimum grade point average of 3.0 in the major area; Masters of Art in Teaching (MAT) candidates must maintain a minimum 3.0 grade point average for the master’s degree). Some departments may require a 2.75 GPA in the major area. Please check with your advisor.
- Meet prescribed department requirements
- Completion of the Intent for Capstone Teaching Internship application form eight weeks before the end of the semester or one week before the pre-registration date of the semester preceding capstone teaching internship
- Attend the orientation sessions for the capstone teaching internship
- Verification of clearance of disqualifying offenses
- Verification of clearance of the Child Maltreatment background check
- Complete the Professional Disposition Self-Assessment as prescribed in the Teacher Education Handbook
- Meet the Clinical Candidate Technology checkpoint requirements as assessed within the licensure program
Transfer students must meet the above prerequisites and complete a minimum of twelve (12) semester hours of resident work at Arkansas State University to be eligible to enroll in the capstone teaching internship.
In addition to the aforementioned eligibility requirements for the capstone internship, the candidates must meet the following minimum performance requirements at Checkpoint 4.
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.70 (minimum of 3.0 in all course work required for Program of Study and Masters of Art in Teaching students)
- Validation by advisor for the capstone teaching internship
According to Act 1090 (HB 1651) of 2015 “For a preservice teacher assigned to a public school as a student intern in a supervised field experience or supervised clinical experience, a sanction adopted by the State Board of Education may be imposed on a license when it is issued to a preservice teacher.”