Admission: Checkpoint 1
It is the applicant's responsibility, with the assistance of the advisor, to initiate the Application for Admission into the teacher education program in accordance with the procedures established by the department screening committee (See form on pages 29-30 of the Initial Programs Handbook, Appendix B). This committee will evaluate the applicant's records and determine eligibility for admission into the Teacher Education Program.
To be considered for Admission into the Teacher Education Program, teacher candidates must meet/complete the following criteria:
- Submit the Online Application for Admission (Blackboard/My Organizations, Admission to Teacher Education Program Information)
- Attain minimum overall GPA of 2.70 beginning August 24, 2015 (Program of Study students must have a minimum of 3.0 overall in courses for Program of Study.)
- Complete the following courses with a grade of “C” or better in each: ENG 1003, Composition I; ENG 1013, Composition II; MATH 1023, College Algebra (or MATH 1043, Quantitative Reasoning as allowed by degree program); Introduction to Education (specific to each department); and COMS 1203, Oral Communication or Speech Proficiency (as specified by the department)
- Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours
- Complete the Professional Dispositions Assessments (self-assessment by candidate and evaluation by screening committee) as prescribed in the Teacher Education Handbook
- Complete the Professional Ethics Assessment as prescribed by the Teacher Education Handbook
- Obtain a signed Clarification of Teacher Education Admissions/Retention StandardsAppear individually for a personal interview before the Department Screening Committee
- Documentation of an Approved Arkansas State Police (ASP) and Federal Background Check and the Arkansas Child Maltreatment Background Check through the Arkansas Department of Education Online Background Check Instructions
- A-State teacher education students and A-State faculty/staff select Arkansas State University for District/Location and use 8800002 for the Verification Code.
- Verify that student has received a copy of the Mission & Values, Teacher Education Outcomes and Arkansas Teaching Standards
- Appear individually for a personal interview before the Department Screening Committee