Welcome to Arkansas State University!

Ron M. Miller


The Distinguished Flying Cross

Ron M. Miller was born 20 January 1938 in West Ridge, Arkansas. He graduated in 1959 from Arkansas State University with a BSE degree. Between 1955 and 1960, he earned additional hours from University of Southern California and Arizona State University. His military career spans 20 years, beginning in 1960. Military awards include two Distinguished Flying Crosses, two Meritorious Service Medals, 21 Air Medals, two Bronze Stars, three Army Commendations, Paratrooper, Master Army Aviator, Korean Government Medal, Vietnamese Government Service Medal, and Medal of Honor 1st Class.

He is being honored for his two Distinguished Flying Crosses. The first Distinguished Flying Cross was awarded 30 November 1966 for heroic action 5 November to 11 November 1966. During this period, the then CPT Miller was serving as gunship leader for his company while participating in Operation Attleboro in support of the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam. While continually under devastating hostile fire, Captain Miller led his unit in flying 1,916 sorties over a period of 61 hours. During this time, 3,700 infantrymen were inserted into strategic landing zones throughout the vast area of tactical operations. CPT Miller's unit also delivered 200 tons of emergency re-supply material into combat landing zones. Missions were conducted under difficult weather conditions and often in total darkness. Despite long, arduous flying hours, CPT Miller skillfully maneuvered his aircraft until completion of his mission. Dur to his superb leadership, all missions were completed with no casualties or loss of aircraft.

The second Distinguished Flying Cross was awarded 30 June 1967 for heroic, voluntary action above and beyond the call of duty 12 October 1966. CPT Miller distinguished himself while serving as fire team leader in direct support of C and C Detachment, Phu Bai Special Forces camp when the Viet Cong attempted to penetrate the camp's perimeter during the evening meal. When the attack began, he made his way through automatic weapons and mortar fire to trenches surrounding the camp. Returning enemy fire, stopping the Viet Cong, he began moving toward his armed helicopter. He left the protection of the trenches and raced through the raging battle. Organizing his fire team, he maneuvered his aircraft through intense fire to a re-arming area 3,000 meters away. He continued placing himself in positions of danger as he remained in the battlefield drawing fire away from the beleaguered Special Forces. His actions in both incidents were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and United States Army.