Welcome to Arkansas State University!


On-Campus employment is work conducted on the Arkansas State University campus, including with contracted companies or organizations on-campus, such as Sodexo or NYIT.

      1. All degree seeking students in F-1 or J-1 visa status may work on-campus.
        • This excludes ESL students.
      2. All F-1 or J-1 student visa holders cannot exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session for employment.
      3. Students are eligible to work up to 28 hours per week during official school breaks (when there are no classes are in session). This includes during the summer. Students have to have attended one academic year and not be enrolled in class to be able to work the 28 hours in summer during school breaks.


      1. As long as a student has met the above requirements, you are eligible to hire them.
      2. You will need to give the student a signed and dated job offer letter on letterhead showing the job title, hours of work each week, and short-description of duties.
        • If your student is in F-1 status, you and the student will also need to fill out the F-1 acknowledgement forms.
        • If your student is in J-1 status, you and the student will also need to fill out the J-1 acknowledgement forms.
      3. The student is responsible for submitting the offer letter and both F-1 forms to our office. If they do not have a social security number already, we will provide them with a letter to take to the social security office to get their number. If they do have a social security number, they can start employment as soon as the paperwork by your department and Human Resources is complete and we have the documents.


    A student will require specific documents to take with them to the Social Security Administration in order to apply for a Social Security Card. Students cannot apply for a Social Security card until they have been in the US for 10 days.

    The student must follow this list in order:

    1. The student must receive the original letter from employer on-campus. This letter is required and must contain the information as stated above.
    2. The student and supervisor must fill out the mandatory acknowledgement forms as mentioned above that detail that both parties understand the federal regulations of employment hours.
    3. Students turn in the above documents to International Student Services and International Student Services then issues a letter for students to give to Social Security Administration that states the student’s legal status and ability to work.
    4. Students will take the below items to Social Security Administration
      • Passport/Visa
      • Most Recent I-94 (arrival/departure record)
      • Job Offer Letter
      • Acknowledgement forms
      • International Student Services letter

    The address of the Social Security Administration Office is 1809 LaTourette Drive, here in Jonesboro. The International Student Service shuttle bus runs every Tuesday from 1 P.M. - 5 P.M..