Welcome to Arkansas State University!

F-1 students who are interested in doing work or an internship that is directly related to their program of study at A-State may be eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). To be eligible, students must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year, and the type of work or internship that is being done must be integral to their program of study, or is required to meet graduation requirements of their program of study.

CPT is not meant to be a convenient employment opportunity, or simply to avoid not using Optional Practical Training (OPT). If the type of work or internship that is being done is not considered integral or required for their program of study, international students may consider applying for OPT.

For complete immigration regulations concerning CPT, international students should speak to the Office of International Student Services. Employment cannot begin until the CPT application is approved by the Office of International Student Services.

The documents that are required to complete the CPT application are:

  • Completed CPT Recommendation Form. This form must be completed and signed by the student and the Academic Advisor. 
  • A letter from the employer on letter head paper that indicates: the job title, the dates of employment, the number of hours of work per week, the name and address of the place of employment, and a brief description of the work that will be done by the student.
  • Be registered in a three-credit hour course in the field of study. The academic advisor should note the course number of the registered class on the CPT Recommendation Form.


Students are responsible for maintaining their own immigration status at all times.

Please remember as you review the information on this page:

  • This information is susceptible to change.
  • This information is not an exhaustive list pertaining to enrollment requirements.
  • For additional information regarding enrollment requirements, students can visit: www.ice.gov,www.uscis.gov, or speak with the international programs office. 

Students are responsible at all times for properly informing the DSO of their immigration status and academic status (as pertaining to immigration matters).