Welcome to Arkansas State University!

International Programs

  • A-State Shuttle

    Arkansas State University offers various shuttle services to International Students.

    Airport Shuttle:

    The A-State Airport Shuttle transports students to and from Memphis International Airport at the beginning and end of semesters.

    Returning students returning after the Summer 2024

    • August 18th, 19th 

      Returning Student Shuttle

      New students arriving for Fall 2024 Semester (Memphis Intl Airport to A-State) (Fall Orientation is August 12)

      • August 10th & 11th (Pick up each day will be once at noon, once at midnight)

      New Student Arriving Shuttle


      Shopping Shuttle:

      The A-State International Student Shuttle travels to grocery stores such as Kroger, Aldi’s, Wal-Mart, and the Asian Food Market, in addition to other shopping centers including Caraway Plaza, TJ Maxx, Burlington, and Target. Multiple shopping options are within walking distance of each stop on the shuttle, and the selected stores offer everything from home décor to electronics to the latest fashion trends.

      • Double bookings for the same day will NOT be allowed. If you double-book the shuttle for the same day, your latest booking will be canceled.
      • If you are a no-show several times in a row without letting us know, you will be issued a warning and then if it continues, you will be placed on the low-priority passenger list.


      Our shuttle is currently running on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at the times listed below, and it departs from Arkansas State at the fountain behind the Reng Student Union (where the cafeteria is located). The first and third Sunday of every month, we also offer a free international shuttle to the Memphis Farmer's Market where you are able to find food from around the world.

      SATURDAYS 10AM - 3PM 10AM, 12PM AND 1PM 2PM BY 3PM

      International students only can sign up to ride the shuttle. Please follow this link to sign up and select “shuttle ride”: Shuttle Sign-Up

    • Driver’s License

      In order to obtain a U.S. driver’s license, you must take a series of tests, unless you already have a U.S. driver’s license for another state.  If so, skip to step four. If not, see below.

      2216 Browns Lane Access Road

      Jonesboro, AR 72401

      • Once you pass your test, you will receive an instruction permit. You can begin to practice supervised driving during this time. Your permit will be valid for one year. However, after 30 calendar days are up (from the date of issue), you may take your driving portion of the test.
      • You will go back to the Arkansas State Police Troop C Headquarters and take your road skills test by driving with a police officer in your vehicle with you. You’ll want to bring your instruction permit with you to this test, along with the vehicle’s registration, insurance, and an additional driver who is 21 years or older and has a valid driver’s license.
      • Once you pass your road skills test or if you already had a U.S. driver’s license from another state, you will go to the local DMV office. You will bring your stamped instruction permit or driver’s license from another state and receive a new driver’s license there.
        • Please note that you will be required to take a vision test at the DMV. If you wear glasses or contacts, you should wear them during the test.
        • You will be required to pay a license fee.

      During each test and to the DMV, make sure you bring documents with you. All new applicants for an Arkansas’s driver’s license are required to provide proof of legal presence in the U.S. as well as proof of identify. One (1) Primary Document and one (1) Secondary Document or two (2) Primary Documents will be required. 

      Primary Documents

      • S. Passport/U.S. Passport Card
      • S. Birth Certificate of Birth/Birth Abroad (US only) (No Birth Cards Accepted) Must be original or certified copy, have a raised seal and be issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health.
      • Photo Document from DHS -(Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services) (No Border Crossing Cards)- Must Verify through Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (S.A.V.E) 
      • S. Visa with Valid Foreign Passport- appropriate INS document is also required-Must verify through S.A.V.E (add in by A-State—visa, passport, I20, and I94 is all required)
      • Employment Authorization Card -Must verify through S.A.V.E
      • Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) Documents, as follows:
        Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, or N-578).
        Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, or N-645).
        Resident Alien Card/Permanent Resident Card (I-151, I-551, AR-3, AR-3A, or AR-103).

      Secondary Documents (Proof of Identity) 

      • Out of State Driver’s License (If NCL are expired more than 31 days must see Arkansas State Police for testing, CDL up to 1 year)
      • Out of State ID (If ID is expired more than 31 days customer must bring in One (1) Primary Document and one (1) Secondary Document or two (2) Primary Documents.
      • Photo Work/School ID 
      • Concealed Handgun License
      • Pilot's License
      • Vehicle Registration/Title
      • Certified School Record/Transcript/ Home School Notice of Intent Form     
      • Prison Release Document/Sentencing Order  
      • Bureau of Indian Affairs Card/Indian Treaty Card (Tribal ID Card is NOT acceptable)   
        Military ID/ Military Dependent w /photo.
      • Court Order (must be sealed)          
      • Armed Forces Discharge Papers (DD214). 
      • Health Insurance Card (Issued by Insurance Company) Medicare/Medicaid are accepted & AR Kids up to age 19. 
      • Tax Document received from IRS  
      • Marriage Certificate/License  
      • Parent Affidavit (Parent/guardian must appear in person, prove his/her identity regarding the child's identity).    


      Please note this additional information about driver’s licenses.


      If a non-immigrant’s status (F and J visa holders) cannot be confirmed instantly, the Department of Motor Vehicles may request additional verification through the SAVE program which is an electronic system that verifies a person’s immigration status.

       The clerk should provide you with a SAVE print out with a case number. Please go online to https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck to see the estimated wait time and check on your case.  

       *Please note, the phrase “Institute Additional Verification” refers to a government office, not International Student Services. If you still have any issues, please contact our office and we will be glad to look into it for you.

    • Travel

      Travel Signatures

      You will need a valid signature in order to re-enter the United States during your program of study or while you are on OPT. Travel signatures are valid for one year while you are a student and for six months during OPT. In order to get a new travel signatures, you can drop off your I20 at International Student Services and pick it up the next business day. If your travel signature lines are full, please let us know one week in advance in order to request a new I-20. If you are not in Jonesboro and need a travel signature, you have two options

      1. If time allows, International Student Services can issue you a new I-20, which can be express mailed to you at your expense through eShipGlobal. Please email International Student Services to receive instructions on how to receive your I-20 via express mail and allow approximately 1-2 weeks for processing and mail time.
      2. As a last resort, you can attempt to enter with an expired travel signature. It is at the discretion of Customs and Border Protection to allow entry in the U.S. and be issued an I-515A. Please see section on I-515A for details.


      The I-94 is your U.S. arrival and departure record which is issued by Customs and Border Protection (CBP). It confirms that you have been legally admitted into the United States in a particular visa category. As of 2013, you will be issued an electronic I-94. Your most recent I-94 and travel history can be found on the CBP website here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home


      If you arrive at the U.S. port of entry without all of your required documents or with unsigned documents, you may be denied entry. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers also have the right to issue you a form I-515A, which allows you temporary entry into the U.S. for 30 days. If you are issued a form I-515A, you must contact the Immigration Advisor and follow the instructions given to you on the I-515A.

      Documents Required for Re-Entry Into the U.S.

      • Valid I-20/DS-2019 with a travel signature that will be less than 1 year old upon re-entry or less than 6 months old if on OPT
      • Passport-Valid for at least 6 months into the future
      • Valid Visa (except Canadians)
      • Employment Authorization Document (EAD)—ONLY for students on OPT

      Additional Recommended Documentation:

      • Proof of financial support such as a bank statement or letter less than six months old
      • Copy of class enrollment or next semester’s enrollment, if traveling during winter or summer break. Examples: An unofficial transcript, official transcript, or enrollment verification

      Travel After Program Completion

      The 60 day grace period following program completion is meant to allow time to prepare to return home, transfer to a new school, or travel within the United States. Traveling to another country during your grace period can be complicated, particularly if your plans include transferring your SEVIS record or applying for OPT in the near future. Without careful planning, you may experience travel interruptions in order to return to the U.S. Please consult your Immigration Advisor if you have doubts about your plans.

      OPT Applicants: Traveling after your program end date but before you have received your EAD card can be risky. Reduce your risk of encountering difficulties by postponing all unnecessary travel until after you receive your EAD card. Please be aware that if you need to renew your visa while on OPT, you must have a job offer letter in order to do so.

      Traveling in between programs: Please consult your Immigration Advisor if you are transferring your SEVIS record to another school and plan to travel internationally prior to starting your new program.