Welcome to Arkansas State University!

What is Federal College Work Study? (FCWS)

This program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for college expenses.

How Do I apply for Federal College Work-study Funds?

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov and indicate they are interested in the work-study program. Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA as early as possible as funds for this program are limited. Students must complete the FAFSA every year to receive FCWS. Receipt of FWCS one year does not automatically imply that the student will receive FWCS the next year.

How much can I earn on FCWS?

Earnings will be at least the current federal minimum wage. The total amount that you earn will depend on the number of hours that you work each week. Most students work between 10 and 20 hours per week, and are paid every two weeks.

Are FCWS jobs on or off campus?

Both. A work study job must always be for a public or private non-profit organization.

What are my responsibilities as a FCWS worker?

  • As a student worker, it is your responsibility to be willing to work and perform your assigned duties to the best of your ability. You must sell your service and should be prepared for an orientation session with a prospective employer.
  • Some jobs require weekend work. If you accept employment, you must work the hours and time scheduled for you.
  • You must be dependable, prompt and reliable in attendance and work the required period of time.
  • If you must be absent from work, your supervisor should be notified prior to your scheduled work time.
  • You should not expect to be allowed to study while at work.