For dependent students that may need additional loan assistance, Federal Direct PLUS Loans enable parents of dependent students with good credit history to borrow for each student who is enrolled at least half-time (6 or more hours) with A-State (Dual Enrollment hours will not count). Plus loan eligibility is not based on financial need, so these loans are made regardless of income level. Parents must pass a credit check to be eligible.
How Much Can Be Borrowed?
Parents may borrow up to their student's total cost of attendance less other financial aid received such as grants, scholarships and loans. The total cost of attendance is determined by the Office of Financial Aid based on an average cost for tuition, books, room and board, travel, and miscellaneous expenses for the academic year.
What are the Interest Rates?
The interest rate is a fixed rate of 7.6%
How to obtain a Federal PLUS Loan:
- The parent should login to www.studentloans.gov with their Federal Student Aid Pin Number.
- Once logged into www.studentloans.gov, the parent should click the "Start PLUS Application Process" link and complete the application.
A credit check will be performed during the application process. If the parent is Approved for a Federal PLUS Loan, the information will be sent to ASU for processing.
- The parent should also complete a Parent PLUS Promissory Note at www.studentloans.gov.
Steps to follow if you are Denied a Federal PLUS Loan:
- If you have not already completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current academic year, you must do so. The FAFSA can be filled out on-line at www.fafsa.gov
- The student will need to submit a Request for Additional Unsubsidized Loan Form to the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office.
For additional information, login to www.studentaid.ed.gov.