Homecoming Theme for 2014 is 'Celebrate the Legacy'
JONESBORO – Homecoming Week at Arkansas State University begins Monday, Sept. 29, and continues through Saturday, Oct. 4, with a schedule full of activities for students, alumni, and friends.
- Following this year's theme of "Celebrate the Legacy," special events this year will include:
- 50th anniversary of the opening of the Carl R. Reng Student Union, Tuesday, Sept. 30, at 3 p.m.;
- Class of 1964 Golden Anniversary Reunion, Friday, Oct. 3; and
- "Gin and Jazz," roaring 1920s-themed celebration that marks the 90th anniversary of the Arkansas State University Alumni Association, Friday, Oct. 3.
The week culminates Saturday, Oct. 4, with game day and reunion activities. The day features tailgating hosted by the various colleges, alumni chapters, and Red Wolf fans; the all-alumni pre-game tailgate party, 4-5:30 p.m., at the Cooper Alumni Center; and pre-game presentation of the Homecoming royalty, starting at 5:30 p.m., including coronation of the Homecoming King and Queen.
"I can't wait for Homecoming because it's a time where the community and everyone on campus comes together to celebrate Arkansas State," commented Amber Sanders, a junior political science major from Jonesboro. "There's so much #packpride everywhere and I love it."
Founded in 1909 as First District State Agricultural School, today's Arkansas State University is a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) school that is defending its titles as Sun Belt Conference Champion and winner of the GoDaddy Bowl.
After the A-State Choir and choir alumni sing the National Anthem, the Red Wolves will take on the Warhawks of Louisiana-Monroe Saturday evening, with kickoff at 6 p.m. in Centennial Bank Stadium.
At halftime, the Alumni Association and university officials will recognize the 90 individuals who have been designated as Distinguished Alumni since the program began in 1984.
Other highlights from the week's calendar include:
- Monday, Sept. 29: "Step Show: A-State's Legacy," Convocation Center, 7 p.m. Greeks at A-State show off their stepping skills while incorporating the Homecoming theme, and the Homecoming Court will be announced. Admission is free.
- Tuesday, Sept. 30: "Howl for a Cause," Heritage Plaza Lawn, Reng Student Union, 12:15 p.m. A-State students give back with this competition. Organizations will build structures out of canned goods, then donate the cans to the NEA Food Bank. Also, anyone may drop off canned goods at Heritage Plaza between 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 1: "Run, Red Wolves, Run," Heritage Plaza Lawn, Reng Student Union, 12 noon. Student organizations race the clock and each other through an obstacle course that tests speed, agility, and balance!
- Thursday, Oct. 2: Bonfire and "Yell Like Hell" competition, University Loop and Honors Ave., 7 p.m. SAB welcomes DJ Psychs and provides free food from Lewis' BBQ and BA Eats, then at 8 p.m. Athletics Department personnel will light the bonfire. Organizations will show their #packpride as they compete in the annual spirit competition.
- Friday, Oct. 3: Wear Red Friday - Organizations will have spirit boards displayed throughout the weekend and the winners will be announced during the game. The Strong-Turner Alumni Chapter will have its "All White Affair" starting at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 4: The College of Business alumni breakfast starts at 9 a.m. in the Convocation Center and the Strong-Turner Alumni Chapter will have its scholarship award luncheon at noon in the Student Union.
- Game tickets are available through the Central Box Office at (870) 972-2781 or online at AState.edu/tickets.
For more details about the week's activities, visit the Homecoming website, AState.edu/Homecoming, or contact Alumni Relations at (870) 972-2586 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Student Activities Board at (870) 972-2055 or email@example.com.
# # #