Degree Requirements for the French or Spanish Emphasis:
- Study Abroad
- The BSE in World Languages and Cultures requires a minimum of six credit hours of study abroad.
- Arkansas State University and the Department of World Languages and Cultures offer a variety of short term (3+ credit hours, faculty-led group study abroad programs) as well as long term (semester or year, independent study abroad programs) to destinations across the world. Current study abroad destinations related to French and Spanish languages include but are not limited to France, Spain, Costa Rica, Mexico, and several other Latin American destinations.
- Professional Internship (Spanish)
- The BSE in World Languages and Cultures with emphasis in Spanish requires completion of a professional internship (3 credit hours). The professional internship can be completed locally or abroad.
- Minimum of 12 credit hours at the 4000 (senior) level
- Minimum of “C-grade” in any course to apply to the degree emphasis
- Outcome Assessment Exam (Written and Oral)
Degree Requirements for Professional Education:
- Professional Education Courses:
- SCED 2513, Intro to Teaching w/lab
- ELSE 3643, Exceptional Student in the Regular Classroom
- PSY 3703, Education Psychology
- SCED 3515, Performance Based Instructional Design w/lab
- SCED 4713, Education Measurements w/Computer Apps.
- EDLA 4633, Methods and Materials for Teaching Foreign Language in Secondary School
- TILA 4826, Teaching Internship in Secondary School (12 hrs.)
- Additional Requirement for Teacher Education:
- SCOM 1203, Oral Communication
Co-Curricular Support Program
The Department of World Languages and Cultures provides a solid support structure for students pursuing a BA in World Languages and Cultures with emphasis in French or Spanish.
The Department offers tutoring support services free of charge in French and Spanish, and invites students to participate in weekly conversation gatherings and in the many intercultural activities offered on campus and in the community throughout the year.