Admission: Check Point 1
It is the applicant's responsibility, with the assistance of the advisor, to initiate the application for admission into the teacher education program in accordance with the procedures established by the department screening committee (See form on pages 30-31 of the handbook, Appendix B). This committee will evaluate the applicant's records and determine eligibility for admission into the Teacher Education Program.
- Attain minimum passing scores on the Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST) for reading, math and writing tests (see form on page 30 for minimum scores)
- Attain minimum overall GPA of 2.50 (Program of Study and Masters in Educational Theory and Practice [METP] students must have a minimum of 3.0 overall in courses for Program of Study.)
- Complete specific courses with a grade of "C" or better in each
- Complete minimum of 30 semester hours
- Complete an evaluation of Career Decision Awareness (This process may take 2 to 4 weeks to complete. For more information, see page 34, Appendix B)
- Submit a completed application form
- Submit a two-page typewritten philosophy of education
- Obtain a signed Clarification of Teacher Education Admissions/Retention Standards
- Appear individually for a personal interview before the Department Screening Committee
- Verify no conviction of a felony
- Verify that student has received a copy of the Conceptual Framework
You will not be permitted to enroll in specified professional education courses until you have been formally admitted into the teacher education program. Such courses are designated by an asterisk in the Undergraduate Bulletin. When your application is approved by the Professional Education Programs Director, you will receive a formal letter of acceptance. Official admittance to the teacher education program does not carry a guarantee of continuance in the program. In addition to the retention checkpoints, you must maintain academic proficiency, moral responsibility, emotional stability, and satisfactory professional growth to continue in the program.