Our Skype Name: Astatewritingcenter
Skype tutoring can be a great way for students, faculty, and staff who work or have classes during the Writing Center’s business hours to obtain help with their writing.
Students can Skype with a tutor during our scheduled business hours as long as they have:
a) the Skype program installed (download Skype free);
b) a free Skype account;
c) access to reliable internet.
Steps for setting up your first Skype tutoring appointment:
Make sure that you have a microphone enabled on your computer, Skype, and a Skype account (see above).
Call or visit the Writing Center during business hours to set up a 45-minute appointment.
At least one hour before the first appointment, open the Skype program (click the Skype logo) and add “Astatewritingcenter” to your contact list.
What if I don’t have an appointment?
Unfortunately, right now the Writing Center can only offer Skype via appointment.
What if I am late for an appointment?
If you are more than ten minutes late for your appointment, you automatically forfeit your appointment. Please try to let the Writing Center know as soon as possible if you are not going to be able to meet for your scheduled appointment.
What to do when it’s time for your appointment:
- Call “Astatewritingcenter” via Skype to connect.
- You and your tutor should be able to hear each other via Skype at the appointed time. If you don’t,
- check the microphone icon at the bottom of the window. If there’s a red diagonal bar across it, click the microphone icon to activate the camera view.
- You and your tutor will discuss how to proceed as far as chatting vrs. talking and sharing files vrs. sharing your screen.
- Engage in tutoring.
- At the end of a tutoring session, click the red phone icon to end the Skype call.
If you want to talk to the tutor instead of typing back and forth, make sure there’s no diagonal red bar across the microphone icon.
To control the volume , look for the sound icon at the top, right of the window.
If you prefer to type back and forth to the tutor:
- Click the microphone icon, which will put the diagonal red bar back.
- Click the plus (+) sign at the bottom of the window. Select Instant Messaging from the drop-down menu.
- To send a file , you need to be in “instant messaging” mode. Click the plus (+) sign at the bottom of the window and select “Share Files” from the drop-down menu. You should be able to see both the text and the tutor’s image.