2015-2016 Program Assessment Summary
2015-2016 Annual Assessment Report
Arkansas State University
Department of Social Work
This assessment reflects that the social work department is doing an overall good job in preparing students for a career in social work. The explicit and implicit curriculum suggest that students have an understanding of the foundation and advanced practice behaviors, and that they are uniformly demonstrating aptitude for the vast majority of the competencies set forth by the Council for Social Work Education. There are areas that can be strengthened. Specifically, MSW students rated themselves low on engaging policy practice to advance well-being and deliver services; and on responding to practice contexts. This is an important area to ameliorate, since it is a huge part of the framework of the social work profession. Some MSW students did not feel they received enough content on women, people of color, and GLBTQ persons. Respect for, and the ability to work with, diverse and oppressed populations is the backbone of social work practice, so this area deserves special attention. The following recommendations are determined from the findings presented in this Annual Report.
- Faculty will review, along with the curriculum committee, course content and teaching methods with regards to engaging policy practice to advance well-being and deliver services; and responding to practice contexts in order to better understand why we obtained weak scores in this area.
- Faculty will develop a subcommittee to address content of women, people of color, and GLBTQ persons in the curriculum in order to better understand ambivalent and low ratings in these areas.
- Faculty and the curriculum committee will review specific course-level assignment that did not meet benchmarks during the assessment period of 2015-2016.
- Fully integrate all 2015-2016 assessment findings from the BSW, MSW, and field programs to ensure continuous quality improvement in these areas.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy to prepare graduates for the licensure examination and increase pass rates. This includes License Prep Training to be provided by Dziegielewki in July 2016.