Retention: Check Point 4
During the beginning of the internship semester, each advisor completes admission validation forms to determine if students have met all admission requirements for the internship. No later than the end of the first week of classes, students will be informed of their admission status. Students must meet the following minimum performance requirements to be validated for the internship.
- Formal admittance into the teacher education program
- Senior standing-a minimum of 90 semester hours
- Pre-Teacher Intern Check Form filed with the Office of Professional Education Programs
- Completion of professional education courses for secondary education majors and professional education/major courses for early childhood (P-4) and middle level (4-8) majors with the exception of the teaching internship semester
- Attainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.70 in all course work and a minimum grade point average of 2.70 in the major area (minimum of 3.0 in all course work required for Program of Study students and a minimum 3.0 major grade point average)
- Meet prescribed department requirements
- Completion of application forms for teaching internship eight weeks before the end of the semester or one week before the preregistration date of the semester preceding teaching internship
- A medical examination report to be presented at the time the candidate applies for teaching internship
- Attend the orientation sessions for the teaching internship
- Verification of no conviction of a felony or crimes listed on page 33 of the Teacher Education Handbook.
Transfer students must meet the above prerequisites and complete a minimum of twelve (12) semester hours of resident work at Arkansas State University to be eligible to enroll in the teaching internship.
In addition to the aforementioned ten eligibility requirements for the internship, the students must meet the following minimum performance requirements at Checkpoint 4.
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.70 (minimum of 3.0 in all course work required for Program of Study students)
- Validation by advisor for the teaching internship