Welcome to Arkansas State University!

Travel Guidelines

Before You Travel....

  • Seek approval to travel from your department.
  • Complete Vehicle Safety Forms VSP1 and VSP2 (Note special instructions for students AND attach a copy of your driver’s license).
  • Complete the Employee Training Seminar training in Blackboard Learn through myCampus
  • Complete the Travel and Expense Management (TEM) Security Request form.
  • To request a rental car, submit the vehicle rental form. For more information, call 972-4733. Contact your automobile insurance agent to confirm if “business use” coverage is required if driving your personal vehicle.
  • Complete an Authorization Report (TA) in TEM.
  • When driving a personal vehicle, complete the Trip Optimizer and upload to the Authorization Report in WebXtender.
  • Use the daily maximum lodging and meal allowances for your destination.
  • When a Travel Advance is needed, request the Advance (TV) when submitting the Authorization Report in TEM. The advance request must be submitted to Travel Services TEN days prior to the trip start date.
  • Locate allowable mileage or use Rand McNally or the Mileage Log if your destination is not available on the mileage chart. Upload the proof of mileage to the Authorization Report.
  • Review international travel warningshealth alerts, and Travel & Medical Assistance Provider online.

During Your Trip....

  • Keep all itemized receipts for all expenses.
  • Obtain “zero balance” hotel bill upon check-out.

Student Groups

  • All itemized receipts must be obtained for student groups including meal receipts.
  • Students must sign a log if cash is received for meals. The log will serve as a receipt for reimbursement and should be uploaded to the Expense Report (TR).

When You Return....

  • Submit an Expense Report (TR) in TEM.
  • Update the expenses that will not be reimbursed by other funds (personal expenses, entertainment expenses, meals provided by conference, tips, etc).
  • Tape small receipts securely to a piece of paper for scanning. Please do not tape over the print or highlight on the receipt. Upload the required receipts/proof of payment, conference schedule, etc. to the Expense Report.
  • For international travel, attach the conversion sheet to cash receipt.
  • Submit the Expense Report in a timely manner and pay back the Travel Advance within 15 (fifteen) working days upon return.

View the Operating Procedures for more information.The following are the most recent updates:

  • Any Expense Report (TR) that exceeds 25% of the amount of reimbursable expenses listed on the Travel Authorization (TA) must be justified in writing in the ‘Comments’ section on the TR and approved by the supervisor.
  • Any TA (not including Blankets) submitted and approved with a Zero amount will not be reimbursed on a TR for expenses claimed, unless justified in writing in the ‘Comments’ section on the TR and approved by the supervisor.

Failure to obtain approval for any of these circumstances could result in the traveler being responsible for all travel expenses.