Arkansas State University offers four Faculty Achievement Awards. Each of the four awards provides a monetary stipend of $2,500.
The awards are designated as follows:
- Arkansas State University Faculty Award for Advising
- Arkansas State University Faculty Award for Teaching
- Arkansas State University Faculty Award for Scholarship
- Arkansas State University Faculty Award for Professional Service
Only full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty members are eligible for the awards. The awards are based upon faculty achievement during the preceding calendar year (January 1 - December 31, 2013).
A faculty member who has previously received a Faculty Achievement Award in a particular category (advising, teaching, scholarship, service) is not eligible to apply for that category award again, but is eligible to apply for the award in the other categories.
- To be considered for the faculty awards for teaching/scholarship/professional service/advising, faculty members must make a written application.
- Applications and supporting documentation should be submitted to the applicant's department chair or dean of a non-departmentalized college. Applicants who do not provide supporting documentation by the announced deadline will not be considered for awards. Application packets not received in the Office of the Provost/Academic Affairs and Research by the announced deadline will not be considered for awards.
- All materials to be considered in the evaluation process must be provided by the applicant electronically to the Department Chair. Department chairs will email the materials to department committees, department committees will email them to college committees, and college committees will email them to the Provost Office for the university committee. The university committee will require electronic copies of applications and electronic copies of the supporting material. All copies must be legible.
- The department chair, or dean of non-departmentalized colleges, will appoint a selection committee of three or more faculty members who are not applying for the awards. If necessary, separate selection committees may be appointed for each award category. Applications will be submitted to this committee which may select one departmental candidate for each award category. If no candidate receives a majority of the votes cast in such an election, a run-off will be held between the top two candidates. It is the responsibility of the department selection committee that applications be complete and in proper form and that unnecessary information (data predating the year of evaluation) be excluded. The department selection committee will prepare a letter of recommendation of the candidate to accompany the application as it moves forward.
- In each college, departmental applications with supporting documentation will be submitted to a college selection committee. This committee will consist of the chair from each department in the college and the chair of the department selection committee; or, if there had been no single committee, an elected departmental faculty member. The college selection committee may select one college candidate for each award category from the departmental applications. It is the responsibility of the college selection committee that applications be complete and in proper form and that unnecessary information (data predating the year of evaluation) be excluded. The college selection committee will prepare a letter of recommendation of the candidate to accompany the application as it moves forward.
- College applications with supporting documentation will be submitted electronically to the University Faculty Achievement Awards Committee (FAAC). Committee members will have been elected/appointed according to the shared governance regulations. The University FAAC will select the recipient of the faculty award for each category and report its selection in confidence to the Office of the Provost/Academic Affairs and Research (AAR).
- The selections at all levels should be based upon the criteria announced for the awards.
- Please refer to the 2014 Faculty Achievement Awards Deadlines for the process and associated time line for selecting recipients.