Our students are engaged in a wide range of academic pursuits that include degree programs in 160 undergraduate and graduate fields delivered by 11 different colleges.
- Campus Life
- About A-State
Master of Science (M.S.)
Department: Health Education and Sport Sciences
The Arkansas State University Masters in Exercise Science program is designed to prepare students for a variety of jobs in health, wellness, and the clinical settings through course work, practical experiences, and research opportunities. Graduates of the program will be prepared to take certification exams offered through the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). Obtaining this degree along with nationally recognized certifications will prepare individuals to work and manage commercial and corporate wellness facilities as well as work in the clinical settings.
Students wishing to pursue a graduate degree must have graduated from an accredited four year institution with the appropriate undergraduate background in the field of proposed academic emphasis. For a Master of Science degree in Exercise Science, typically the appropriate preparation will be an undergraduate degree in Exercise Science (or equivalent), a minimum of 18 semester hours of appropriate course work is required. Each applicant will be individually evaluated by the department’s Graduate Program Coordinator as to what may be appropriate for them. These courses may be completed concurrently with graduate work, but must be completed before the student is admitted for candidacy for the degree.
Eighteen to twenty-four hours of the courses list below will normally be considered appropriate.
- ES 3543 Human Anatomy & Fundamentals of Motion
- ES 3553 Basic Physiology of Activity
- ES 3623 Techniques of Physiological Fitness Assessment
- ES 3633 Nutrition for Health, Sport and Exercise
- ES 3653 Techniques of Aerobic Conditioning
- ES 3713 Cardiovascular Physiology
- ES 3743 Research & Statistics Methods In Exercise Science
- PE 4673 Exercise Prescription for Special Populations
- ES 4683 Exercise Prescription and Fitness Programming
- ES 4693 Techniques of Strength Training and Conditioning
- ES 4763 Kinesiology
- ES 4813 Applied Motor Learning