Our students are engaged in a wide range of academic pursuits that include degree programs in 160 undergraduate and graduate fields delivered by 6 different colleges.
- Campus Life
- About A-State
Dr. Robert Schichler
Professor of English
- B.A. English, SUNY-Geneseo, 1974
- M.A. English, SUNY-Geneseo, 1978
- Ph.D. English, Binghamton University, 1987
- Medieval Studies
- Old and Middle English Literature
- Medieval Latin
- the Old Norse Saga
- British Romantic Poetry
- Medieval Literature
- British Literature to 1800
- British Novel
- Introduction to Poetry and Drama
- Romantic Literature
- Topics in British Literature
- British Authors through the Renaissance
- British Authors from the Renaissance through the Romantic Period
- British Authors since the Romantic Period
- Editor, "Abstracts of Papers in Anglo-Saxon Studies." An annual feature published for the Old English Division of the Modern Language Association of America, in the journal Old English Newsletter. Vols. 20-36 (1986-2003).
- "Heorot and Dragon-Slaying in Beowulf." Proceedings of the Patristic, Mediaeval, and Renaissance Conference 11 (1986): 159-75.
- Assistant Editor, Mediaevalia. A Special Issue: Ovid in Medieval Culture. Vol. 13 (1989, for 1987).
- "Buffalo Bull." Viet Nam Generation 3.4 (1992): 41-45.
- "As Whiteness Fades to Fallow: Riding into Time in Beowulf." In Geardagum 14 (1993): 13-25.
- King of the Once Wild Frontier: Reflections of a Canal Walker. Rochester, NY, 1993.
- Editor, Lady in Waiting: Poems in English and Spanish, by M. H. Rojas. Rochester, NY, 1994.
- "Glæd Man at Heorot: Beowulf and the Anglo-Saxon Psalter." Leeds Studies in English 27 (1996): 49-68.
- "Understanding the Outsider: Grendel, Geisel, and the Grinch." Popular Culture Review 11.1 (2000): 99-105.
- "From 'Whale-Road' to 'Gannet's Bath ': Images of Foreign Relations and Exchange in Beowulf." Reading Medieval Studies 28 (2002): 59-86.
- "Ending on a Giant Theme: The Utrecht and Harley Psalters, and the Pointed-Helmet Coinage of Cnut." Intertexts: Studies in Early Insular Culture Presented to Paul E. Szarmach. Ed. Virginia Blanton and Helene Scheck. Tempe, AZ, 2008. 241-54.
- “King Cnut’s Last Coinage?” Enarratio 17 (2014, for 2010): 1-12. Print.
- “King Cnut’s Last Coinage?” Ohio SU Knowledge Bank (2014): http://hdl.handle.net/1811/60438. Web
- Current Project:
I am continuing my investigation of the interrelationship of literature, representational art, and coinage in England and Scandinavia during the reigns of Cnut, Harold I, and Harthacnut.
I am also examining the appearance and treatment of biblical and apocryphal themes in the works of D. H. Lawrence.
- Arkansas State University Faculty Award for Scholarship, 1993-1994
- "Pick of the Month" in Small Press Review, June 1994: Lady in Waiting