Arkansas State University recognizes the academic achievement of graduating baccalaureate-degree students with Latin Honors, “Honors Program” and “University Honors Program” distinctions. To receive distinctions, students must be seeking their first baccalaureate degree. Honor distinctions are not awarded for additional baccalaureate degrees, associates degrees, or graduate-level degrees.
1. Distinctions for graduating students are determined after grades have been submitted for the first session of the graduating term for the graduation program and ceremony. Distinctions are recalculated after full-term and second session grades have been posted to award distinctions to any students who improved sufficiently to achieve a distinction. Students who improve or qualify for distinction at the end of their last semester, will be contacted the next week with an updated diploma and cord.
2. In order to receive Latin Honors, students must earn at least 45 ASU-Jonesboro Institutional Hours. ASU registration for the graduating term will be included when determining if a student meets this requirement.
3. Students must have both an Overall (Cumulative) GPA and an ASU-Jonesboro Institutional GPA that meets the following requirements:
- Cum Laude (White Cord) – 3.60-3.79 GPA
- Magna Cum Laude (Red Cord) – 3.80-3.99 GPA
- Summa Cum Laude (Gold Cord) – 4.00 GPA
NOTE: Overall GPA is calculated by combining GPA hours and quality points for all ASU-Jonesboro and transfer coursework. (Transfer coursework may include courses taken concurrently while in high school.)
1. Distinctions for graduating students are determined prior to the graduating term.
2. Students who complete the Honors Program shall be recognized as graduating “In Honors”. Diplomas and transcripts will bear the designation “Honors Program”. Students who complete the University Honors Program shall be recognized as graduating “In University Honors”. Diplomas and transcripts will bear the designation “University Honors Program”.
- Honors College (Blue Cord)
For additional information, please visit the Honors College.