Distinguished Service Cross
Ray A. Clardy was born on 5 December 1921. He graduated from Arkansas State College in May 1942, with a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture and commissioned as a second lieutenant in the United State Army. In June 1942, he began his active duty service. In December 1945, he served with the 12th Field Artillery Replacement Center, Camp Roberts, CA. From August 1943 to December 1945, he served with the 44th Infantry Div. Artillery, participating in three major campaigns: Northern France, Central Europe, and the Rhineland. Colonel Clardy was separated from the service when the 44th was deactivated in December 1945. He remained in Active Reserve and was recalled to active duty in October 1948. His numerous assignments included special weapons instructor in the Special Weapons Orientation Course, Ft. Bliss, TX; Asst. U.S. Army Attaché, New Delhi, India; Secretary of U.S. Army Special Warfare School, Ft. Bragg, NC; Executive Officer Army ROTC, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR; and Director, Doctrine Div., Artillery Agency, U.S. Army Combat Development Command, Ft. Sill, OK. Colonel Clardy retired from the Army on 1 December 1967 and currently resides in Bullhead City, AZ.
During his illustrious military career, Colonel Clardy received the Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, and the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary heroism in action on 26 April 1945, near Gutenzell, Germany. When his Battery and nearby Battalion installations were subject to heavy fire from enemy positions within three hundred yard, Captain Clardy led thirty of his men in an attack on the enemy, forcing them to withdraw. Climbing to the turret of supporting tank, he pursed the enemy and personally accounted for nine enemy casualties, including the commanding officer, and completely disorganized the German forces. Captain Clardy’s extraordinary heroism and swift action against a numerically, superior enemy, destroyed their effectiveness and ended a threat to the main supply route of an Infantry Regiment and an Armored Division.