Welcome to Arkansas State University!

International Programs

  • A-State Shuttle

    University offers different shuttle services to International students as listed

    Airport Shuttle:

    A-State Shuttle transport students to and from Memphis International Airport.

    • New Incoming Students: 
      • Spring 2019 Arrivals
        • Shuttle runs January 5 and 6
        • Register Here
        • Registration closes December 10
    • Currently Enrolled Students Fall 2018 Students (Leaving for Winter Break)                 
      • Shuttle runs December 11, 12, 13 and 16
      • Register Here 
      • Registration closes November 21 by 5PM
    • Currently Enrolled Students Spring 2019 Students (Returning from Winter Break)
      • Shuttle runs January 12 and 13
      • Register Here
      • Registration closes January 2
    • Currently Enrolled Students Spring 2019 (Departing for Summer 2019 Break)
      • Shuttle runs May 8, 9 and 12
      • Registration link will be available on November 1st
      • Registration will close on April 24, 2019

    Shopping Shuttle:

    The Shopping Shuttle makes stops at the following locations: Turtle Creek Mall, Sam's Club, Wal-Mart (Highland Drive only), Kroger, Asian Market, Aldi's and Caraway Plaza.  The International Shopping Shuttle meets in from of the fountain across from Student Union.

    • Monday           4 - 9 p.m.
    • Tuesday          5 - 9 p.m. 
    • Wednesday     4 - 9 p.m.
    • Thursday         4 - 9 p.m.
    • Friday              4 - 9 p.m.
    • Saturday         11 a.m. - 6 p.m. 
    • Sunday           11 a.m. - 6 p.m.

    DMV, Social Security Office and Bank.

    There will be a shuttle to bank, DMV, and Social Security office every third Tuesday of the semester (with exception to January and August since it’s the first of the semester), from 1-5 p.m.  The shuttle will pick-up at the fountain on the hour, with the last pick-up at 3 p.m.

    The dates this service runs on the following Tuesdays each month in 2019 are:

    January 15th and 22nd  (the 3rd and 4th Tuesday)

    February 19th  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    March 19th  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    April 16th  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    May 21st  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    June 18th  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    July 16th  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    August 20th and 27th  (the 3rd and 4th Tuesday)

    September 17th  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    October 15th  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    November 19th  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    December 17th  (the 3rd Tuesday)

    Entertainment Shuttle:

    Entertainment Shuttle:

    3rd Saturday of the month-Memphis International Farmer's Market-leaves from the Fountain at 9 am and returns back to campus around 2 p.m.

  • Driver’s License
    • Arkansas driver’s licenses can be obtained from your local revenue office, which is located at:

              206 Southwest Drive

              Jonesboro, AR 72401

    • All applicants for an Arkansas driver’s license must provide a verifiable Social Security Number (SSN) when making the application. Applicants who are not eligible or do not have a Social Security number must sign an affidavit stating that they do not have a SSN. 
    • All new applicants for an Arkansas Driver’s license are required to provide proof of legal presence in the United States as well as proof of identity. One (1) Primary Document and one (1) Secondary Document or two (2) Primary Documents will be required. 
    • To prove legal presence in the United States, one of the following documents must be shown. We have highlighted the ones that international students at A-State need to bring.


    Primary Documents

    • U.S. Passport/U.S. Passport Card
    • U.S. Birth Certificate of Birth/Birth Abroad (US only) (No Birth Cards Accepted) Must be original or certified copy, have a raised seal and be issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health.
    • Photo Document from DHS -(Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services) (No Border Crossing Cards)- Must Verify through Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (S.A.V.E) 
    • U.S. Visa with Valid Foreign Passport- appropriate INS document is also required-Must verify through S.A.V.E (add in by A-State—visa, passport, I20, and I94 is all required)
    • Employment Authorization Card -Must verify through S.A.V.E
    • Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) Documents, as follows:
      Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, or N-578).
      Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, or N-645).
      Resident Alien Card/Permanent Resident Card (I-151, I-551, AR-3, AR-3A, or AR-103).


    Secondary Documents (Proof of Identity) 

    • Out of State Driver’s License (If NCL are expired more than 31 days must see Arkansas State Police for testing, CDL up to 1 year)
    • Out of State ID (If ID is expired more than 31 days customer must bring in One (1) Primary Document and one (1) Secondary Document or two (2) Primary Documents.
    • Photo Work/School ID 
    • Concealed Handgun License
    • Pilot's License
    • Vehicle Registration/Title
    • Certified School Record/Transcript/ Home School Notice of Intent Form     
    • Prison Release Document/Sentencing Order  
    • Bureau of Indian Affairs Card/Indian Treaty Card (Tribal ID Card is NOT acceptable)   
      Military ID/ Military Dependent w /photo.
    • Court Order (must be sealed)          
    • Armed Forces Discharge Papers (DD214). 
    • Health Insurance Card (Issued by Insurance Company) Medicare/Medicaid are accepted & AR Kids up to age 19. 
    • Tax Document received from IRS   
    • Marriage Certificate/License  
    • Parent Affidavit (Parent/guardian must appear in person, prove his/her identity regarding the child's identity).    


    Visit here for additional information:  http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/driverServices/Pages/FAQ's.aspx#e

  • Travel

    Travel Signatures

    You will need a valid signature in order to re-enter the United States during your program of study or while you are on OPT. Travel signatures are valid for one year while you are a student and for six months during OPT. In order to get a new travel signatures, you can drop off your I20 at International Student Services and pick it up the next business day. If your travel signature lines are full, please let us know one week in advance in order to request a new I-20. If you are not in Jonesboro and need a travel signature, you have two options

    1. If time allows, International Student Services can issue you a new I-20, which can be express mailed to you at your expense through eShipGlobal. Please email International Student Services to receive instructions on how to receive your I-20 via express mail and allow approximately 1-2 weeks for processing and mail time.
    2. As a last resort, you can attempt to enter with an expired travel signature. It is at the discretion of Customs and Border Protection to allow entry in the U.S. and be issued an I-515A. Please see section on I-515A for details.


    The I-94 is your U.S. arrival and departure record which is issued by Customs and Border Protection (CBP). It confirms that you have been legally admitted into the United States in a particular visa category. As of 2013, you will be issued an electronic I-94. Your most recent I-94 and travel history can be found on the CBP website here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home


    If you arrive at the U.S. port of entry without all of your required documents or with unsigned documents, you may be denied entry. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers also have the right to issue you a form I-515A, which allows you temporary entry into the U.S. for 30 days. If you are issued a form I-515A, you must contact the Immigration Advisor and follow the instructions given to you on the I-515A.

    Documents Required for Re-Entry Into the U.S.

    • Valid I-20/DS-2019 with a travel signature that will be less than 1 year old upon re-entry or less than 6 months old if on OPT
    • Passport-Valid for at least 6 months into the future
    • Valid Visa (except Canadians)
    • Employment Authorization Document (EAD)—ONLY for students on OPT

    Additional Recommended Documentation:

    • Proof of financial support such as a bank statement or letter less than six months old
    • Copy of class enrollment or next semester’s enrollment, if traveling during winter or summer break. Examples: An unofficial transcript, official transcript, or enrollment verification

    Travel After Program Completion

    The 60 day grace period following program completion is meant to allow time to prepare to return home, transfer to a new school, or travel within the United States. Traveling to another country during your grace period can be complicated, particularly if your plans include transferring your SEVIS record or applying for OPT in the near future. Without careful planning, you may experience travel interruptions in order to return to the U.S. Please consult your Immigration Advisor if you have doubts about your plans.

    OPT Applicants: Traveling after your program end date but before you have received your EAD card can be risky. Reduce your risk of encountering difficulties by postponing all unnecessary travel until after you receive your EAD card. Please be aware that if you need to renew your visa while on OPT, you must have a job offer letter in order to do so.

    Traveling in between programs: Please consult your Immigration Advisor if you are transferring your SEVIS record to another school and plan to travel internationally prior to starting your new program.