The A-State Scholar is administered through the ASU Financial Aid & Scholarships Office. Any questions concerning the scholarship should be directed to the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office at (870) 972-2310.
Arkansas State University reserves the right to make changes to the scholarship program at any time based on available funding and eligible applicants.
High School Graduates
This scholarship is only available during the student's high school senior year.
What the Scholarship Covers:
- The A-State Scholar award provides $15,000 annually (split between Fall and Spring semesters), this includes up to $3,720 for on-campus housing and up to $3,000 for on-campus meal plan, with remaining award for tuition and fees.
- Awards are contingent upon the availability of funding and housing scholarships are contingent upon the availability of on-campus housing.
- Students who decline to live in an A-State Jonesboro residence hall will not receive the financial equivalent for off-campus living.
- The scholarship pays for courses taken on the Arkansas State University-Jonesboro campus only.
- This scholarship is awarded for the duration of eight consecutive semesters or through completion of the undergraduate degree, whichever occurs first, provided the student maintains all scholarship requirements.
The deadline for 19-20 A-State Scholar applications is December 1, 2018 at 5:00 pm (CST).
How to Qualify:
- The scholarship is awarded during the senior year to U.S. citizens who are graduating high school.
- Students must be admitted to the university. This includes submitting an admissions application with fee, official ACT or SAT scores and official six -semester transcript.
- Students must have a minimum ACT composite score of 32 and a high school minimum GPA of 3.500 on a six-semester transcript.
- Scholarship deadline is December 1 of high school senior year and award letters will be mailed the third week of December. All awards are based upon state-supported available funds.
- Scholarships are awarded competitively.
- To be considered, students must be admitted to the university by December 1. Students must also submit a student resume, essay, and two reference letters. Your resume should include a listing of co-curricular high school activities, awards and recognition. Please visit www.astate.edu/astatescholar for complete details and electronic submission.
- A limited number of awards are available.
Student Responsibilities for Accepting and Maintaining the A-State Scholar Award:
Once students have begun their studies at Arkansas State University, the scholarship will be administered through the Honors College. Any questions concerning maintenance of the scholarship should be directed to the Honors College, at (870) 972-2308.
- Students who are selected to receive the A-State Scholar will have until May 1 of high school senior year to accept their award; however it is recommended that they accept the offer within 30 days. The scholarship offer will no longer be valid after May 1. Should you accept the scholarship and later decide to attend another university, please notify the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office in writing or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The residence hall room is contingent upon the purchase of a meal plan. If a student is released from the meal plan for any reason, the student will be liable for the cost of the room.
- NOTE: Students receiving a room as part of their scholarship package must apply separately for housing through the Office of Residence Life and pay the applicable housing deposit.
- Full-time enrollment of 15 college-level credit hours on the A-State Jonesboro campus is required during each consecutive Fall and Spring semester. Concurrent enrollment on another campus cannot be used to meet full-time enrollment status nor be paid for by the scholarship. Enrollment is locked as of the 11th class day.
- Students must be enrolled in and successfully complete one honors course per Fall and Spring semesters. Students must fulfill the requirements of the University Honors Program or the scholarship will be revoked.
- Matriculation to A-State Jonesboro must occur in the Fall semester immediately following high school graduation.
- Student must be seeking a Bachelor's Degree.
- All online degree programs are ineligible for Institutional Scholarships.
- Any student who is enrolled full-time at another college, university, technical college, or branch of ASU during a regular semester (Fall or Spring) following high school graduation automatically forfeits the scholarship.
- All college course work is calculated into the overall GPA for scholarship renewal.
- Students who have grade changes are responsible for contacting the Director of the Honors College so that their scholarship status may be reevaluated.
- For military exceptions, contact the ASU Scholarships Office at (870) 972-2310.
- Award holders who are dependents of faculty and staff will be paid 25% of the scholarship value per semester for A-State Jonesboro credit hours in addition to the faculty/staff discount.
- Students are required to maintain an overall 3.500 GPA and successfully complete 30 A-State Jonesboro hours (fall and spring combined) each academic year. Note - accepted transfer credits will be calculated in overall GPA.
- Students with Incomplete grades will forfeit their scholarship if they do not otherwise meet the scholarship criteria.
- A-State Scholar recipients must be enrolled in and successfully complete one honors course per Fall and Spring semester.
- Any student who receives all W’s, F’s, WN’s, I’s and/or FN’s at the end of any fall term will lose their scholarship for all subsequent semesters.
- Probation - Any Freshmen, Sophomore, or Junior level recipient who does not meet their renewal criteria at the end of the spring semester will have until the end of that Summer II term to obtain an overall 3.500 GPA and successfully complete 30 A-State Jonesboro hours (Fall, Spring, and both Summer I and Summer II combined) or they will forfeit the scholarship for all subsequent semesters. All classes taken during probation for hour and GPA deficit must be A-State hours.
- Students that do not maintain an overall 3.500 GPA but have at least a minimum 3.250 GPA and successfully complete 30 A-State Jonesboro hours (fall and spring combined) will be lowered to the A-State Excellence Scholarship (if the student graduated high school in 2016 or beyond) or will be lowered to the A-State Leadership (if graduated from high school in 2015 or prior) for the duration of their scholarship eligibility.