Deciding what career to pursue is a major step, but now you must focus on making yourself an attractive candidate so that when it's time to apply for your dream job, you will stand out from the crowd.
Essential Skills for a College Graduate
Strong Verbal and Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Know your own “elevator speech". Do you have the self confidence to meet new people?
- Do others feel comfortable interacting with you?
Self-Motivated/ Self-Management/ Self-Starter
- Do you have enough common sense to ask questions?
- Do you have to be told what , when, or how to do a task ?
- Do you know when to lead and when to follow?
- Do you work well with others?
- Can you listen to others’ ideas, add to or strengthen the idea(s) presented, and work collaboratively to implement the agreed upon initiative or solution.
Sound Academic Achievement
- Do you have at least a 3.0 GPA?
- GPA cutoff also depends on the student’s major or the department that is hiring
Analytical and Conceptual Skills
- Do you have an inquisitive mind? Are you creative, persistent, interested in solving problems, and think independently?
- Do you work well with details, possess keen powers of observation, and follow logical paths of reasoning?
- Do you relate to concepts or the formation of concepts?
Strong Communication Skills
- Do you use or know how to use the appropriate language and grammar tools when communicating in both written and oral communication?
- Do you possess maturity and business insight as a new graduate?
- Do you utilize strong verbal ,written and listening skills?
- Are you aware of your non-verbal behavior?
- Do you know how to act in social situations? Do you have professionalism, tact, and good business judgment?
Flexible and Adaptable
- Do you practice management skills/techniques?
- Do you posses a "can do attitude"?
- Is your glass half empty or half full?
Problem Solving Skills
- Do you run and hide from a problem or do you look for creative ways to solve it?
- Do you participate and encourage brainstorming or do you prefer to solve problems on your own?
Energy and Enthusiasm
- Do you approach each project, task, and your work day as though it is the first time you have experienced it?
- Are you cheerful, friendly, welcoming , easy to approach ? Do you interject humor into your daily routine?
- Do you regularly conduct ethics checks? Is it legal? Do you have a clear conscience? Is it something you would want your mother to read about in the paper?
- Do you know how to laugh at yourself?
- Do you know what is appropriate and not appropriate when it comes to office humor?