What are competitive fellowships and scholarships?
Competitive fellowships and scholarships are prestigious grant awards and funding opportunities for student research, study, teaching, and travel.
The terms fellowship and scholarship are sometimes used interchangeably to describe a funding grant for academic achievement. Fellowship grants typically include travel, research, or service commitment, often for a period of one or more years. Some scholarship grants help pay for your undergraduate or graduate education.
- A fellowship on your resume identifies you as a superstar!
- The application process helps you focus your goals, hone your writing, and utilize feedback.
- A fellowship provides you with a built-in networking community of other winners.
- A fellowship gives you valuable experience beyond the classroom.
- Fellowships fund your research and get your work out there for the world to see.
- Fellowships are a great way to travel the globe for free!
A prestigious fellowship or scholarship opens doors for you to go on to even greater success when you leave A-State!
Visit Find a Fellowship for examples of the opportunities available to you.
Am I Eligible?
Every fellowship and scholarship has different criteria for eligibility, determined by the organization providing the award. Some are available to undergraduates, some to graduate students, and some to both.
The best way to find out your eligibility is to Schedule an Appointment, and we can help you determine which awards you’re eligible for and which ones fit best with your future goals.
Applicants for national scholarships acknowledge and agree that their A-State student conduct record may be checked as a condition for endorsement by the university as an award candidate, and that their student conduct record may keep them from being endorsed.
How can I apply?
A-State can help you select, prepare for, and apply for the perfect fellowship or scholarship for your interests and goals!
- Schedule an Appointment or Contact Us to begin the application process.
- Check out Important Dates for application info and deadlines.
- Watch for fellowship workshops and presentations to be announced soon!
How can I prepare?
- Start researching fellowship awards as early as possible.
- Focus your extracurriculars on activities that are important to you.
- Seek out leadership opportunities.
- Be a change agent – find ways you can make a difference.
- Take challenging classes.
- Get involved with research.
- Learn another language.
- Get to know your professors.
- Look for summer employment or internships in your area of study.
- Expand your knowledge of the world – keep up with current events, attend lectures on campus, make plans to study abroad.