Purchase Awards at 2016 Delta National Small Prints Exhibition
JONESBORO – The 20th annual Delta National Small Prints Exhibition (DNSPE) at Arkansas State University’s Bradbury Art Museum opened Thursday, with winning selections for purchase awards and sponsorships announced.
Artists from across the country and around the world annually submit prints to be considered for inclusion in the exhibition, according to Les Christensen, director of Bradbury Art Museum. A nationally known expert in the field of printmaking reviews the entries then selects those to be exhibited, as well as the award winners.
Dennis Michael Jon, associate curator of prints and drawings at Minneapolis Institute of Art, served this year as juror. From the hundreds submitted, he selected 55 prints that vary widely in technique and style.
As with previous Delta National jurors, Jon made his selections blindly, seeing only the title, medium and dimensions of each print, but not the artist's name or location.
This year's exhibition was dedicated to museum benefactors Chucki and Curt Bradbury Jr. of Little Rock, who Christensen described in her director's statement in the catalog as "two very generous people who desire to see the arts flourish in Northeast Arkansas."
Funding for DNSPE is provided through the generosity of several individuals. The Bradbury Art Museum's commitment to contemporary printmaking in a small format could not be possible without these many supporters. They provide the assistance necessary to produce the exhibition and the catalog, and to offer awards to several outstanding artists.
This year 13 prints received purchase awards and became part of the Permanent Collection at Bradbury Art Museum. A full color catalog of the entire exhibition is available to visitors and the artists. The exhibition continues through Feb. 28.
The award-winning entries are as follows:
- Chancellor’s Purchase Award (underwritten by Drs. Deidra and Tim Hudson of Jonesboro): “I'm Not Following You Anywhere,” 2013, photo intaglio and chine collé, by Florence Alfano McEwin.
- Lindquist Purchase Award (underwritten by Chucki and Curt Bradbury Jr.): “Runner,” 2015, etching, by David Avery.
- Camille Watson Murray Purchase Award (underwritten by Claude M. Erwin Jr of Dallas): "My Conversation with a Rabbit," 2015, digital giclée on Sunset Hot Press Rag, by David Blow.
- Les Christensen Purchase Award (underwritten by Sharon and Evan Lindquist of Jonesboro): “Clowns Rule,” 2014, etching and aquatint, by Helen Cox.
- Donna and Don Bowyer Purchase Award (underwritten by Donna and Dr. Donald Bowyer of Jonesboro): "Bob and Alice's Temporal Eternalizer," 2013, relief, by Keith Dull.
- The Cheryl Wall Trimarchi Purchase Award (in memory of Martha and Bryant Wall): “Downtown (InTentCity),” 2015, reduction woodcut, by David Graves.
- President’s Purchase Award (underwritten by Mandy and Dr. Charles Welch of Little Rock): “Snow @ Eat-Rite,” 2013, color wood block, by Anthony Lazorko.
- Carol Thoren Christensen Purchase Award (in memory of Carol Thoren Christensen): "bw1407," 2014, woodcut, by Jon Lee.
- Chucki Bradbury Art Purchase Award (underwritten by a Special Endowment in Honor of Chucki Bradbury): “Passage,” 2015, photopolymer etching, by Michelle Martin.
- Drs. Phylllis and Warren Skaug Purchase Award (underwritten by Drs. Phyllis and Warren Skaug of Jonesboro): "Sky and Trees," 2014, water-based silkscreen, by Nancy McIntyre.
- Beth and Scot Snodgrass Purchase Award (underwritten by Beth and Dr. Scot Snodgrass of Jonesboro): “Beautiful Afterlife – Hope,” 2013, lithograph, by Carol Moore.
- Don A. Tilton Purchase Award (underwritten by Don A. Tilton of Little Rock): “Yellow House, Passau, Germany,” 2014, three plate color etching, by Elizabeth Peak.
- Kali James Smith Purchase Award (underwritten by Kali James Smith of Gainesville, Fla.): “Off Line,” 2015, mezzotint engraving, by Carol Wax.
- Pat and Roger Carlisle Sponsorship (underwritten by Pat and Roger Carlisle of Jonesboro), “Birds in Paradise,” 2014, mixed media monotype, by Maggy Aston.
- Jones Sponsorship in memory of Flo and Phil Jones (underwritten by Charlott Jones, CPA and Philip A. Jones of Jonesboro): “Beechwood 7,” 2015, woodcut, by Ann Conner.
- DNSPE Sponsorship: “Reasonable Doubt,” 2015, serigraph, by Ruthann Godollei.
- Bradbury Art Museum Sponsorship: “Pursuit of Latitute,” 2014, drypoint and aquatint, by Jon Goebel.
- Deborah Hethcoat Sponsorship in memory of Deborah A. Hethcoat-Petty (underwritten by Micah Brightwell and Jackie Vandigo of Jonesboro): “Mad Stairs with Virginian Silver,” 2015, 3D lenticular print, by Mary Ann Strandell.
- Mary and Don Vollman Sponsorship (underwritten by Mary E. and Dr. Don B. Vollman of Jonesboro): “Trainspotting,” 2015, multi plate color etching, by Mary Teichman.
BAM hours are noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 2 to 5 p.m. on Sunday, and by appointment. The exhibition, the catalog and the reception are admission-free and open to the public. For additional information please contact the museum at (870) 972-2567.
# # #