Gubernatorial Debate at A-State is Monday, Oct. 20
JONESBORO – With the gubernatorial debate near, Centennial Hall in the Reng Student Union at Arkansas State University is ready to host candidates, the audience and a broadcasting crew.
The debate between Asa Hutchinson, the Republican candidate, and Mike Ross, the Democratic candidate, both of whom aspire to be governor of Arkansas, will be Monday, Oct. 20.
The Northeast Arkansas Political Animals Club is lead sponsor, while the Jonesboro Regional Chamber of Commerce, KAIT Region 8, ASU-TV and A-State also are sponsors.
Admission is free, but tickets are required. While the supply lasts, tickets may be picked up from the NEA Political Animals, Jonesboro Chamber Office and KAIT.
Guests may enter the hall starting at 6 p.m., with seating first-come, first-seated. The doors will close at 6:45 p.m. to avoid interruptions during the broadcast, which starts at 7 p.m.
For those without tickets or arriving late, the union auditorium will be used for overflow seating and watching a video feed of the debate.
Interested individuals also may watch the debate on KAIT 8.2 and online at KAIT8.com.
Co-chairs of the NEA Political Animals, Andrea Allen and L.J. Bryant, will serve as the moderators. The club has said one of its goals is to help facilitate a more-informed electorate in northeast Arkansas.
ASU-TV will produce the event and KASU, the public broadcasting service of A-State, will simulcast the audio from the debate live on 91.9 FM.
Both campaigns have agreed to this set of rules for the audience:
- Audience is asked to remain silent during the duration of the debate.
- Outbursts and/or disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. University Police will remove individuals from the debate if necessary.
- The doors to Centennial Hall will be closed at 6:45 p.m. No one may enter after that time. The designated “Overflow Room” will be open.
- Turn all cell phones to silent.
- No flash photography during the debate, and no video recording.
- No campaign material allowed inside Centennial Hall.
- All bags will be screened before entering Centennial Hall.
Centennial Hall and the auditorium are both located on the third floor of the Reng Student Union, which is located at the end of Aggie Road in the heart of the Arkansas State campus (GPS address: 101 N. Caraway Road). Visitors may park in the North Parking Deck, accessible from Johnson Avenue and Caraway Road.
# # #