Dept. of Military Science to Commission Six Army Officers
JONESBORO – The Department of Military Science and Leadership at Arkansas State University will commission six ROTC cadets into the Army Friday, Aug. 5, during a 2 p.m. ceremony attended by family, friends, military officials and university staff.
The new officers also will receive their university diplomas during Arkansas State’s Summer Commencement Friday evening. Both events are in the Convocation Center.
Lt. Col. Michael Fellure, professor of military science and department chair, will administer the oath to the new second lieutenants. Those to be commissioned and their majors are:
- Tyler Adams of Jonesboro, criminal justice;
- Timothy Daley of Little Rock, history;
- Shequira Holmes of Pine Bluff, exercise science;
- Juan Martinez of Rolla, Mo., radiologic science;
- Adam Smith of Jonesboro, exercise science; and
- Wayne Thompson II of Atlanta, exercise science and athletic training.
Retired Lt. Col. David L. Sonnier of Batesville will be guest speaker for the ceremony. Sonnier, a native of Baton Rouge and graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, earned a Master of Science degree in computer science from Georgia Institute of Technology.
Following a military career that included assignments at U.S. military installations, Korea, and NATO in Belgium, he currently is associate professor of computer science at Lyon College.
# # #