Delta National Small Prints Exhibition Opens at Bradbury Gallery; Purchase Awards are Announced
JONESBORO – The 18th annual Delta National Small Prints Exhibition (DNSPE) at Arkansas State University’s Bradbury Gallery opened this evening (Jan. 30), with winning selections for purchase awards and juror’s merit awards announced.
Artists from across the country and around the world annually submit prints to be considered for inclusion in the exhibition, according to Les Christensen, director of Bradbury Gallery. A nationally known expert in the field of printmaking reviewed approximately 600 entries, then selected those to be exhibited as well as the award winners.
Lyle Williams, curator of prints and drawings at the McNay Art Museum in San Antonio, served this year as juror. The prints selected for purchase prizes become part of the Permanent Collection of Art at Arkansas State.
Williams chose 55 works by 44 artists for this year’s Delta National Small Prints Exhibition. Through the selection process, the juror does not see the name or location of the artists; only the title, medium and dimensions of each print are known.
Funding for the DNSPE is provided through the generosity of several individuals.
The award-winning entries are as follows:
- Chancellor’s Purchase Award (underwritten by Drs. Deidra and Tim Hudson of Jonesboro): “Too Close to the Sun,” 2013, etching, by David Avery.
- Beth and Scot Snodgrass Purchase Award (underwritten by Beth and Dr. Scot Snodgrass of Jonesboro): “Bel-Air 1,” 2012, woodcut, by Ann Conner.
- Don A. Tilton Purchase Award (underwritten by Don A. Tilton of Little Rock): “Rendezvous in Black,” 2012, one stone lithograph, by Ann Chernow.
- Chucki Bradbury Purchase Award (underwritten by a Special Endowment in Honor of Chucki Bradbury): “Damned (Autun),” 2012, mezzotint, by A. David Crown.
- Molly Graham Welch Purchase Award (underwritten by Claude M. Erwin Jr. of Dallas): “Sampler: Winter Blackwork II,” 2013, digital print with hand sewing, by Anne Chesnut.
- Teresa & Steve Owens Purchase Award (underwritten by Teresa & Steve Owens of Jonesboro): “Summer Suite/Bird,” 2013, lithograph, by James Dormer.
- Salvest Purchase Award (underwritten by Les Christensen and John Salvest of Jonesboro), in memory of Jeanne and Jack: “Correspondence 04 (One Fare),” 2012, eight-color silkscreen with UV varnish, by Brett Groves.
- Lindquist Purchase Award (underwritten by Chucki and Curt Bradbury Jr. of Little Rock): “Umboi,” 2012, woodcut, by Jon Rogers.
- Brackett-Krennerich & Associates Architects Purchase Award (underwritten by Kyle Cook, Jeff Herren and George Krennerich of Jonesboro): “Observation #25,” 2012, reduction linocut, by Michelle Martin.
- President’s Purchase Award (underwritten by Mandy and Dr. Charles Welch of Little Rock): “Cuckoo,” 2013, collotype, by Kent Rush.
- Greta and John Troutt Purchase Award (underwritten by Greta and John Troutt of Jonesboro): “Inside,” 2013, intaglio, by Kelsea Nichols.
- Les Christensen Purchase Award (underwritten by Sharon and Evan Lindquist of Jonesboro): “Building Silhouette/Horizontal #9),” 2012, two-color linocut, by Robin Sherin.
Juror’s Merit Awards were selected as follows:
- The Cheryl Wall Trimarchi Sponsorship: “Hombre Envejiciendo (Aging Man),” 2013, mezzotint with drypoint, by Miguel Cortinas.
- Pat and Roger Carlisle Sponsorship: “Muddin’,” 2013, intaglio, by Brandon Oswalt.
- Delta National Small Prints Exhibition Sponsorship: “The Box and the Vein and the Sidewalk,” 2012, drypoint monoprint and chine colle, by John Hankiewicz.
- Jones Sponsorship in Memory of Flo and Phil Jones: “Magician,” 2013, lithograph, by Caroline Thorington.
A full color catalog of the entire exhibition is available to exhibition visitors and the artists.
Delta National Small Prints Exhibition continues through Feb. 28. Images also are available for viewing on the gallery’s website.
Hours for Bradbury Gallery in Fowler Center, 201 Olympic Dr., are noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 2 to 5 p.m. on Sunday, and by appointment.
The exhibition is admission-free and open to the public. For additional information one may contact the Bradbury Gallery at (870) 972-2567.
# # #