17th Annual Delta Awards for Tourism Achievement to be Announced
JONESBORO – The 17th annual Delta Awards recognizing tourism achievement in Eastern Arkansas will be presented during festivities Friday evening, Feb. 17, at the Cooper Alumni Center on the campus of Arkansas State University, 2600 Alumni Boulevard.
The evening will begin with a 5:30 p.m. silent auction, followed by the dinner and awards at 7 p.m. The event is sponsored by Arkansas Delta Byways with support from the Greater Jonesboro Chamber of Commerce. Centerpieces, designed by students of the Jonesboro School of Art, will be auctioned off that evening.
Arkansas Delta Byways, located on the A-State campus, is a nonprofit organization recognized by the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism as the official tourism promotion association for 15 counties in Eastern Arkansas. Counties include Arkansas, Chicot, Clay, Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Desha, Drew, Greene, Lee, Mississippi, Monroe, Phillips, Poinsett and St. Francis.
The annual awards event is open to the public. Tickets are $30 per person or $200 for a table of eight. For information on ticket availability, contact Gretchen Sacotnik, (870) 573-6751 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Categories and the finalists are:
Media Support Award
- Richard Benson, The Morning Show, KXJK/KBFC Radio, Forrest City, St. Francis County
- Terry Hawkins, Editor, Dumas Clarion, Desha County
- KASU Bluegrass Monday, Craighead and Greene Counties
- Delta Resort, McGehee, Desha County
- Raymond Willie, Pillow-Thompson House, Helena, Phillips County
- Rhoda’s Hot Tamales, Lake Village, Chicot County
- City Market, Piggott, Clay County
- Edwardian Inn, Helena, Phillips County
- Shelby’s Sweet Corn, Marked Tree, Poinsett County
Tourism/Promotion Support Award
- Friends of the Historic White River Bridge, Clarendon, Monroe County
- Lights of the Delta, Blytheville, Mississippi County
- Main Street Helena, Phillips County
Festival/Event of the Year
- Big River Crossing, West Memphis, Crittenden County
- Tinkerfest, ASU Museum, Craighead County
- Writing Retreat for Veterans, Hemingway-Pfeiffer Museum and Educational Center, Piggott, Clay County
Boot Strap Award
- “Life on the Mississippi,” Delta Gateway Museum, Blytheville, Mississippi County
- Our Lady of the Lake Altar Society Annual Spaghetti Dinner, Lake Village, Chicot County
- Christmas in the Park Lighting Ceremony, Marianna Chamber of Commerce, Lee County
Cultural Heritage Award
- Front Porch Blues Bash, Helena, Phillips County
- Parkin Archeological State Park, Cross County
- Seark Concert Association Smarts Program, Monticello, Drew County
Outstanding Member Award, to be announced.
Tourism Person of the Year, to be announced.
# # #