The Employee Mentor Program provides an opportunity for new faculty and staff members to be paired with experienced employees in their department or division in order to help individuals easily transition into employment with the University.
Goals and Objectives
- Accelerate the time it takes for new employees to acclimate to their new positions.
- Increase likelihood of employee retention.
- Allow relationship building between new employees and their colleagues.
- Ensure that employees within the department have a proper understanding of the processes and procedures to be followed internally.
To be eligible to become a mentor, the employee must meet the following qualifications:
- Full-time staff or faculty member with three years of employment with A-State as of June 1, 2018.
- Availability and willingness to meet with the new employee for one to two hours each week during the new employees first two months of employment.
- Demonstrates leadership skills and understands processes and responsibilities of the particular department and/or college.
- Nomination from a supervisor, director, chair, dean or vice chancellor.
- Nominations for mentors will be made by a supervisor, department director or chair, or vice chancellor via the nomination form on the HR webpage.
- A committee will review and approve nominations.
- Nominees receive an email from Training and Development notifying them that they have been nominated to participate in the program.
- Mentor nominees accept or reject the nomination.
- Mentors who accept the nomination and wish to participate in the program will be invited to a reception where they will learn more about what is required of them.
- As a reward for participating, Training and Development will host a reception each quarter to show appreciation to mentors and give them the opportunity to discuss with one another what they have implemented with their mentees.