Welcome to Arkansas State University!

2018 - 2019 Health Insurance Policy

International students are required by the US government to have health insurance. All F and J students are enrolled in Health Insurance provided through A-State upon receipt of payment. The cost of the insurance is charged to the student's account prior to the start date of upcoming semester and can be paid through the cashier's window like tuition and fees. The health insurance does not cover students in their home country. Therefore students can choose to have a second policy but they are still required to purchase insurance through A-State.



Do I have to have A-State’s insurance policy?
Yes, all international students are required to have insurance through CHP. This was a policy set by the Board of Trustees (BOT) which is the governing board of the university.

What insurance company does A-State go through?
A-State uses CHP for international students. The current policy year brochure can be downloaded from the home tab on their website: https://www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/Login/?Id=490

How do I get my insurance card and enter my address?
Steps to Getting Your Insurance Card for All International First-Time and Returning users:

  1. Go to https://www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/Login/?Id=490
  2. Scroll down to the “My Benefits” box  then click on the blue “ID Card/View Claim” button.
  3. Click 'Set Up New Account' or ‘Access Your Account’. retain your password to login in the future
  4. For first time users please choose the current “Academic Year” from the drop down box.
  5. After you log in, go to 'Student Options' which is located at the top.
  6. Click the drop down 'Print ID Card' 

Steps to Enter Your Address:

  1. Log in to your account at https://www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/Login/?Id=490
  2. Click ‘Student Options’ tab.
  3. Click ‘Update Personal Information’.
  4. Enter the information.

How do I get reimbursed for my immunizations from the Health Center?

  1.  Prior to using these instructions, make sure you set up your personal insurance account and enter a valid mailing address. (not a campus address)
  2.  Documents needed to file a claim:
    • “Itemized Statement for Insurance Reimbursement” via email from Health Center.  Fill it out and include *A-State Student ID number*.
    • Proof of payment to University obtained by taking a picture or printing your 'Account Summary by Term'.
    • Copy of insurance card.
  3.  Attach a copy of the 3 documents to send via an attachment to:  asu@studentinsurance.com or customerservice@consolidatedhealthplan.com
  4. Allow 4-6 weeks to receive reimbursement.  If questions call the Customer Service number on your insurance card.

How do I use my insurance card?
When you are sick and go to a health clinic, hospital, or seek any medical treatment you must take a copy of your insurance card. You must always carry a copy of insurance card.

How do I enroll in the insurance if I am on OPT?
Insurance through CHP must be purchased within 30 days of graduation.  For questions regarding enrollment, contact Kimberly Winters at kwinters@astate.edu


    How do I enroll in the insurance if I am an F1/J1 student?
    If you are F1 and/or J1 student, you are automatically enrolled in the insurance. This is done every semester. If you want to add a dependent, please see “How do I add my dependents to my insurance policy?”

    How do I add my dependents to my insurance policy?

    Dependents are eligible for coverage under the Plan as long as it is within 30 days of the eligibility/renewal date of the student or scholar.

    To add a dependent to your insurance, follow the following steps:

    1. Go to http://www.studentinsurance.com/Apps/Schools/Default.aspx?Id=490
    2. On the right hand side of the homepage, Click on “Account Login”.
    3. Enter your Email and Password, you will be directed to Insurance Card.
    4. In the top menu, select “Students Options” and then “Add dependents”.

    How long is my insurance valid? 
    We are required to insure all international students for the duration of their studies at ASU.

    What happens if I don’t pay for my insurance?
    You are not able to register for classes without paying for insurance and could put your immigration record in jeopardy. Students must have insurance to enroll.


    How much does insurance cost?
    Prior to registration, your insurance charges must be paid. Insurance is $90 a month and is based on 6 months enrollment. Premiums are $451 for Fall, $670 for Spring & Summer. Your student account will be charged each semester.

    How do I pay for my insurance? 
    All insurance charges will appear on your Self-Service student account before Priority Registration begins. You may pay it online or at Cashiers window. You must pay before you will be eligible to enroll in courses.

    Do I need to pay if I go to a doctor? 
    Students need to pay a deductible and copay when visiting a clinic, doctor, or hospital. For more information call customer services number on the insurance card. For details call 888-622-6001

    What do I pay if I go to the Student Health Center (SHC)? 
    The Student Health Center offers their services at a discounted rate and they do not take insurance of any kind. They may ask you for your insurance information to keep in your medical records. Each student is responsible to pay for any treatment or visits to the SHC. All charges will be applied to your student account.


    What is covered through CHP?
    This information can be found online at http://www.studentinsurance.com/Apps/Schools/Default.aspx?Id=490

    Are prescription drugs covered?
    Call customer service: 877-657-5030

    Are maternity expenses covered?
    Yes, if you are the primary carrier. For details please view online brochure.



    How long do I have to file a claim with the insurance company?
    Call Customer Service: 877-657-5030

    What do I do if I get a bill? Or the doctor says I owe them money?
    Call Customer Service: 877-657-5030 right away.