Outstanding Faculty and Students to be Recognized during Convocation of Scholars Events
JONESBORO – Outstanding faculty members and top students are being recognized during the 36th annual Convocation of Scholars events this month at Arkansas State University.
The fourth annual Create @ State: A Symposium of Research, Scholarship and Creativity, will involve scores of students in scholarly and artistic presentations throughout the day Thursday, April 10, in the Carl R. Reng Student Union. The Three Minute Thesis ® and G60 Live Pitch Contest are two of the highlights. The awards ceremony begins in the auditorium at 4:30 p.m.
Faculty Honors Convocation will be Tuesday, April 15, beginning at 2 p.m. in Centennial Hall of the Carl R. Reng Student Union. The event is open to the public.
Winners of the prestigious Faculty Achievement Awards in teaching, scholarship, professional service and academic advising will be announced. Retiring faculty members will be recognized for their service to Arkansas State.
The Faculty Honors Convocation is hosted by the Office of Academic Affairs and Research to celebrate the achievements of A-State’s faculty. This is one of the major events of Convocation of Scholars.
The academic colleges have scheduled awards banquets and ceremonies as follows (in chronological order):
- Business, 6:30 p.m., Monday, April 14;
- Humanities and Social Sciences, 6 p.m., Tuesday, April 15;
- Media and Communication (guest speaker, Casey Pearce, manager of media information for the St. Louis Rams), 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 16;
- Engineering, 6:30 p.m., Thursday, April 17;
- Fine Arts (guest speaker Crystal Beasley, BFA alumna in studio art), noon, Friday, April 18;
- Nursing and Health Professions, 6 p.m., Monday, April 21.
- Agriculture and Technology, 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, April 22;
- University College, 2 p.m., Wednesday, April 23;
- Sciences and Mathematics, 6:30 p.m., Thursday, April 24.
The Diversity Excellence Awards Luncheon will be at noon on April 16, and the Strong-Turner 3.0 and Freshman Scholars Achievement recognition dinner will be April 11.
Other recognition events, conducted by honor societies and other groups, have scheduled various recognition events as follows: Beta Gamma Sigma induction, 5:30 p.m., April 14; Mossie Richmond-Afak Haydar Scholarship award dinner, 5:30 p.m., April 14; Student Honors Recital, 7:30 p.m., April 14; Kappa Tau Alpha induction, 5:45 p.m., April 16; Lambda Pi Eta induction, 5:30 p.m., April 16; Health, Physical Education and Sports Sciences student recognition, 8:30 a.m., April 17; Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 6:30 p.m., April 22.
Additional details about individual Convocation of Scholars events are available by calling the respective college or department or by consulting the university website, http://www.astate.edu/a/scholars/ or the university calendar, http://www.astate.edu/calendar/index.dot.
# # #