A-State Herald Staffers Sweep Awards
JONESBORO — Several staff members from The Herald, Arkansas State University’s campus newspaper, swept the online feature-writing category at the recent 2016 Arkansas College Media Association Convention. The campus publication brought home 11 total awards from the event held at University of Central Arkansas in Conway.
Two editorial staff members, Editor-in-Chief Emma Williams and Photo Editor Melissa Martin, attended the annual event and were accompanied by Ron Sitton, instructor in the A-State College of Media and Communication.
Awards for The Herald staffers include:
- Online Feature Writing, First Place, “App exposes inappropriate content,” Jamie Alvord
- Online Feature Writing, Second Place, “Student pushes himself, others to success,” Jorge Quiquivix
- Online Feature Writing, Third Place, “Maintaining grades and pets in college,” Rachel Moore
- Online News Writing, Second Place, “NYIT Medical School,” Arnelle Jones
- Online Newswriting, First Place, “Students arrested,” Emma Williams
- Newspaper Newswriting, First Place, “You’re all whores,” Michelle Gould, Blake Rylant
- Breaking News, Third Place, “Football players arrested on drug charges,” Emma Williams
- Breaking News, Second Place, “A-State student arrested on shoplifting charges,” Emma Williams
- Sports Photo, Third Place, “Rugby club shows strength in scrimmage,” Denise Goldstein
- Art/Illustration, Third Place, “Gun provision unsafe,” Emma Williams
- Feature Photo, Honorable Mention, “A-State celebrates with pep rallies,” Sarah Thompson
Prior to the awards ceremony, the convention hosted a variety of sessions for those in attendance to select, as well as a keynote address from Philip Martin, chief film critic at the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.