International students must make sure their passport is valid at all times. Students who need to renew their passport in the United States must contact their consulate either in the US or in their home country.
I-20 or DS-2019
International students must ensure at all times that their I-20 or DS-2019 is valid and that the program end date listed is valid.
- If international students require more time to complete their program of study, they must apply for an extension.
- This process must be done before the program end date on the I-20 or DS-2019, otherwise the student will be terminated.
- International students who require additional time on their I-20 or DS-2019 should start the extension one semester before the program end date.
This is the white card given to international students when they enter the United States.
- This card determines the visa category an international student entered the US with, and it is also used to record when an international student enters and exits the US.
- This card is very important. If lost or stolen, a new one must be obtained. Students will need t complete an application and pay the application fee. This process can take months.
Visa (Stamped in Passport)
The stamped visa in the passport is used for entry into the United States.
- International students can stay in the US on an expired visa. However, the visa must be valid when an international student reenters the United States from a trip abroad.
- Visas can be renewed at a US embassy in a student’s home country.
- Students can attempt to apply for a visa at a US embassy in a country other than their home country. However, if a student is denied a visa in that country, they will have to return to their home country to apply for a new one. Being denied a visa in a country other than the home country can cause a student to be denied a visa in their home country!
International students are required by the Department of Homeland Security to submit their US address during New Student Orientation, and within 10 days after any additional change of address to the Office of International Programs. This information will then be reported to the Department of Homeland Security.
I-20 or DS-2019 Changes
International students are required to have accurate information on their I-20 or DS-2019 at all times. Students must become familiar with all information listed on your I-20, and keep the Office of International Programs informed of changes or inaccuracies.
- Information that may be subject to change include program of study and program end date. Such changes must be reported to the Office of International Programs immediately. A new I-20 or DS-2019 will then be issued.