MASTER OF ARTS DEGREE WITH A MAJOR IN BIOLOGY
The Admission Process begins with an Online Graduate Application. Applicants then follow up by submitting official Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, a copy of their MMR immunization, and the documents mentioned below. These need to be sent to:
Arkansas State University
Graduate School Admissions
P O Box 1570
State University, AR 72467
Students seeking admission into the Master of Arts degree program in Biology must meet the admission requirements of the Graduate School and the specific program requirements. In addition, applicants for the M.A. Program in Biology will be evaluated by the department for academic qualification based upon their undergraduate academic record, score on the Graduate Record Examination, and letters of reference. Specific requirements include:
- A minimum of 18 undergraduate hours in the biological sciences and an undergraduate grade point of 2.75 or greater (on a 4.0 scale). Students judged to be deficient in some areas of undergraduate preparation might be assigned certain undergraduate prerequisite courses.
- An official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) test score with a recommended combined verbal and quantitative score of 290
- Three letters of reference
- A statement of educational objectives and career goals
Applicants not meeting all of the above departmental criteria may be admitted on a conditional basis if they meet the Graduate School admission requirements.
Courses required of all candidates
- BIOL 6003 and BIOL 6001 in addition to a minimum of three 6000 level courses
with at least two coming from the Biological Sciences course listing, exclusive of
Independent Study and the M.A. Practicum.
- M.A. Practicum, three hours as approved by the graduate committee. A major and
minor scholarly project must be completed that encompasses the scope of the pro-
gram of study.
- Tool 3-4 hours, as approved by graduate committee.
- Elective courses in biology or graduate elective courses as approved by graduate
committee, as needed to complete 36 hours.