Welcome to the Women and Gender Studies minor! In our interdisciplinary coursework, you'll take courses offered in departments across the university as you explore the complexities of sex, gender, and sexualities in biological, social, historical, and philosophical discourses. How do these identities shape who we have been, who we are, and who we may become? Faculty members in Women and Gender Studies are committed to investigating the way in which theories of gender and sexuality influence modern thought and social practice. As you chart your own path through curriculum that complements your major, we will offer you new ways of thinking across disciplines.
The Women and Gender Studies minor supports many outreach programs on the A-State campus. We serve as guest teachers in First Year Experience courses, where we teach about sexual assault prevention on campus. We organize the Safe Zone program, which trains faculty and staff to respond sensitively to LGBTQIA issues and to make the campus a safer and more welcoming place for all students. We host speakers for Women's History Month and program events for World AIDS Day, Transgender Day of Remembrance, and Pay Equity Day. Throughout the year, we lead panels that invite students and faculty to talk about the way we think about sexuality, sexual violence, reproduction, and a wealth of other issues that shape our experience of the world. We work to promote student research on issues related to women, gender, and sexuality.
Fall 2015 Events
- August: Sexual Assault prevention training in FYE classrooms, led by Dr. Sarah Kendig, Dr. Kate Krueger, and Carrie Tew.
- September 15: Participation in Silent Witness Vigil, to commemorate the lives of women killed in domestic violence this year in Arkansas.
- September: Panel discussion hosted by A-State's Feminist Union, "The Role of Men in Feminism," including Dr. Jason Barrett-Fox, Dr. Rebecca Barrett-Fox, Airek Beauchamp, Dr. Deborah Chappel Traylor, Dr. Kristi Costello, Dr. Todd Fuist, and Dr. Kate Krueger.
- October 20: National Day of Writing Poetry Café: Poetry Readings on Women, Gender, and Sex (12:30-1:00 and 3:00-3:30 in front of the Library)
- October 27: Lunch and Learn: Who's Who & What Do They Do? Working with LGBTQ + Families 12:30-1:45, Centennial Hall, Reng Union.
- October 29: 6:30 in 1028 HSS: Screening of Love Between the Covers and panel discussion on gender and romance with Dr. Rebecca Barrett-Fox, Dr. Deborah Chappel Traylor, and Dr. Lauri Umansky.
- November 20: Transgender Day of Remembrance
- December 1: World AIDS Day
To be part of a growing consortium of students and faculty across the A-State campus dedicated to Women and Gender Studies, contact minor advisor and WGS coordinator Dr. Rebecca Barrett-Fox at email@example.com