Welcome to the Women and Gender Studies minor! In our interdisciplinary coursework, you'll take courses offered in departments across the university as you explore the complexities of sex, gender, and sexualities in biological, social, historical, and philosophical discourses. How do these identities shape who we have been, who we are, and who we may become? Faculty in Women and Gender Studies are committed to investigating the way in which theories of gender and sexuality influence modern thought and social practice. As you chart your own path through curriculum that complements your major, we will offer you new ways of thinking across disciplines.
The Women and Gender Studies minor is also actively involved in multiple outreach programs on the ASU campus. We organize the Safe Zone program, which trains faculty and staff to respond sensitively to LGBTQIA issues and to make the campus a safer and more welcoming place for all students; host speakers for Women's History Month; and lead panels that invite students and faculty to talk about the way we think about sexuality, sexual violence, reproductive rights, and a wealth of other issues that shape our experience of the world.
Past events have included:
- Elizabeth I: The Dating Game
- The Feminine Mystique Revisited; or, Why Marriage Still Matters
- Women's History, Health, and Reproductive Rights: A Frank and Civil Examination of Critical Issues
- Women and Sexualities: Rights and Roles
- The Invisible War: Investigating Rape in the Military
- Brilliant Women: A Faculty Lecture Series in Honor of Women's History Month
- The Skin We Live In: A Cross-Disciplinary Interactive Workshop Exploring Gender & Sexualities
- Getting Local: The Collusion of Gender, History, & Memory
Please consider becoming part of a growing consortium of students and faculty across the ASU campus dedicated to Women and Gender Studies. If you have any questions about the minor, please don't hesitate to contact Dr. Kate Krueger (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Eric Cave (email@example.com).