Our students are engaged in a wide range of academic pursuits that include degree programs in 160 undergraduate and graduate fields delivered by 6 different colleges.
- Campus Life
- About A-State
Dr. Veena Kulkarni
Interim Chair of Department of Criminology, Sociology, & Geography
Professor of Sociology
- Ph.D., University of Maryland-College Park (Sociology)
- M.A., Delhi University (Economics)
- Population & Development
- Social Demography
- Social Problems
- Research Methods
- International Migration
- Social Inequalities in Education & Health
- Labor Market Processes & Outcomes
- American Sociological Association
- International Union for the Scientific Study of Population
- Population Association of America
- Kulkarni, Vani S., Veena Kulkarni and Raghav Gaiha. (2017). “Double Burden of Malnutrition” Reexamining the Coexistence of Undernutrition and Overweight Among Women in India. International Journal of Health Services, 47(1), 108-133.
- Kulkarni, Veena. 2015.‘Her Earnings: Exploring Variation in Wives’ Earning Contributions across Six Major Asian Groups and Whites’, Social Science Research, 52: 539-557.
- Kulkarni, Veena. 2015. ‘Correlates of Self-rated Health Status in Sri Lanka’, Journal of Developing Areas, 49: 145-165.
- Kulkarni, Vani S., Veena Kulkarni and Raghav Gaiha. 2016. ‘Obesity and Non-Communicable Diseases: How Alarming is the Rising Trend?’, NDTV, September 8.
- Kulkarni, Veena and Raghav Gaiha. 2016. ‘POKE ME: The social security measure seems doomed with budgetary cutbacks and frequent wage hikes’, The Economic Times, April 28
Veena Kulkarni joined Arkansas State University after completing her Ph.D in Sociology with specialization in Demography and Development from University of Maryland –College Park. Her research interests lie at the intersections of studying social and economic inequalities with the focus on labor market processes and indicators, health and educational outcomes in the context of developing and developed countries. Her work has appeared in peer reviewed journals such as Demography, International Migration Review, International Review of Applied Economics, Journal of Developing Areas, Social Science Research, Sociological Forum, World Development and as book chapters published by the Sage Publication and Oxford University Press. She is presently working on a book manuscript, ‘Indian Immigrants in Developed Democracies: A Cross-National Study’, to be published by Routledge as part of the ‘Routledge Studies of Diasporic Peoples’.
F: (870) 972-3694