Welcome to Arkansas State University!

1098-T Information

Explanation of 1098-T

For an explanation of the 1098-T form box by box.

Click Here>>

What is the purpose of the 1098-T form?

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.  This form is intended to assist students in the preparation of federal income tax returns.  An accountant, tax preparer, or the Internal Revenue Service can best advise students in the utilization of this form when preparing tax documents. 

When will my 1098-T be mailed?

The 1098-T forms will be postmarked by January 26th. 

Where can I find my 1098-T online?

  1. Log into myCampus
  2. Click on  Self-Service Banner
  3. Select the following menu links:
  4. Student
  5. Student Records
  6. myBill
  7. eStatements Tab
  8. 1098-T Tax Statement Section 

To what address will my 1098-T be mailed?

Your 1098-T will be mailed to your BILLING address.  If your 1098-T has already been mailed to the wrong address you will need to print your 1098-T via Self-Service.  Please go ahead and update your BILLING address even if your 1098-T has already been mailed so that you will receive important information.

To ensure your Billing address is current, follow the steps below:

  1. Log into myCampus
  2. Click on Self-Service Banner
  3. Click on Personal Information
  5. To update an existing billing address, click on the blue "Current" link
  6. To create a new billing address, click on "Type of Address" at the bottom of the page and select Billing.
  7. Enter address and click Submit.

Why did I not receive a 1098-T?

Students that do not have a Social Security Number or valid address on file will not receive or be able to view their 1098-T.

Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants will not receive a 1098-T in the mail but will be able to view the form online.

For International Students, will a 1098-T form be sent?

International Students who have a Social Security Number listed in our system will receive a 1098-T. The form will be mailed to your BILLING address. Please contact Fran Lincoln by e-mail if you have any questions. For other questions on this tax credit, please refer to IRS publication 970.    

Why is Box 1 blank?

The IRS instructs institutions to report either payments received (Box 1) or amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2) on the 1098-T.  Arkansas State University - Jonesboro (ASU-J) reports qualified tuition and related fees that were billed during the tax year (Box 2).

Why are there Spring Charges?

The Spring charges of the previous year were reported on the previous year’s 1098-T statement.  This is because ASU-J reports based upon when fees are billed, not when payments are made for those fees.  Generally, based on registration dates, fees for the Spring semester are billed during December of the previous year, therefore are a part of the previous tax year’s charges reported.

Was my financial information reported to the IRS?

Yes.  Section 6050S of the Internal Revenue Code, as enacted by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, requires institutions to file information.

Can I get another copy of my 1098-T?

Yes.  You can follow the steps above on where to find your 1098-T online.  

Who do I contact with my personal information?

Name, social security number, etc.

  1. Go to the Office of the Registrar
  2. Click on Student Information
  3. Click on Student Forms
  4. Click on Name/ID Change
  5. Complete this form and return to the Office of the Registrar 

I need assistance with this.  Who may I contact?

You are urged to contact a tax professional, such as a licensed income tax preparer or Certified Public Accountant to assist you with determining whether you are eligible to claim Education Tax Credits, and to determine the amount of credit for which you may be eligible.  Alternatively, you may contact the Internal Revenue Service or by phone at 1-800-829-1040.  If you have questions regarding the tuition information, please contact Student Accounts Services at 870-972-2285. 

Arkansas State University does not provide income tax advice.