Welcome to Arkansas State University!

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions you need to ask about study abroad and international travel

I haven't studied a foreign language. Do I need to learn a foreign language to study abroad?

Not necessarily. You can study in a country in which English is the language of instruction. In many countries there are special group programs available for English speakers. Also, you can use your time abroad to learn another language.

How early can I start applying? When is it too late to apply?

We review applications as they are completed. We will accept applications until the program is full. Please note that some ASU exchange programs have deadlines. Please come by our office for more information.

Can I spend more than one semester abroad?

Absolutely! Many students spend consecutive semesters at their study abroad destination.

Do students with only certain majors study abroad?

No. Students from all majors study abroad. Some students are able to find programs in their own majors and others take a semester to broaden their education.

Will studying abroad cost more than a regular semester at ASU? Is there financial aid for study abroad?

Generally, the cost of a semester on an exchange program is about the same as for a semester at ASU. Extras, like airfare and books, are not included in your tuition. If you are not paying for lodging, you will have that cost during your study abroad experience. Some forms of financial aid/scholarships can be used toward studying abroad. You need to visit the Office of International Programs to determine your costs for a specific program.

Where can I get an application to study abroad?

You can come by the Office of International Programs in the International Student Center and get an application to study abroad. Also, you can download a copy of the form from this website.
You can find the forms at Applications and Forms.

Do I receive academic credit for the study abroad courses?

You can receive academic credit for your study abroad courses. You can receive credit for study abroad courses and these credits may count toward the credits necessary for a specific degree program. The Office of International Programs asks students to consult with their academic advisor to determine which courses will qualify for ASU credit and which courses will contribute to the credits necessary for graduation in a specific discipline.

How many days a week will I have class?

The answer to this question depends on several factors. If the study abroad experience is during the summer and is an ASU Group Study Abroad experience, you may have class every day. If the study abroad experience is during the fall or spring semester, your class schedule may be similar to one at ASU. Generally, your class schedule and your responsibilities for attending these classes may vary from country to country. If you want to have a specific answer, please visit the Office of International Programs.

Will this experience be helpful to my career?

The experience gained abroad and the ability to navigate unfamiliar situations are skills that employers look for, and having study abroad on your résumé can definitely make you stand out from other candidates.

Can I travel to other locations while in the other country?

Absolutely! In Europe, distances are much shorter between major cities and countries than in North America, and travel by train is easy, quick, and relatively inexpensive.

Does ASU have an orientation before I leave? Is there an orientation at the study abroad site?

The Office of International Programs or the study abroad group leader provides a formal orientation for those going on official ASU programs. In many of our exchanges, there will be a faculty or staff member, or local students, who will help you get adjusted to your new surroundings.

Will I need a VISA to enter the country abroad?

This depends. For many short-term programs, a visa is not necessary, but for a stay of a semester or more, a visa may be required. (A visa is a stamp or sticker put in your passport. A passport is always required to travel abroad.)

Are there any health or safety issues?

Again, this depends. If you are taking prescription medication, or a favorite over-the-counter remedy, it is a good idea to take a supply with you, packed in original containers. Obviously, some areas of the world present certain risks, but ASU does not send students to areas known to be dangerous. If you have any questions about safety in a particular area, contact the Office of International Programs.

Can I take my laptop and cell phone? Do I need a laptop and cell phone?

For those on a semester or longer stay, a laptop may be convenient. In most parts of the world, you will need an electrical converter as well as a plug adaptor, since electrical systems are frequently different outside of North America. Conventional cell phones often do not work outside of the United States. If you are needing a cell phone during a long-term stay abroad, it is best to get a phone and a calling plan locally. Calling cards are a great alternative.