The Social Justice Den (Living Learning Community - SJLLC) is designed for students of all majors who desire to engage in discussions meant to challenge existing beliefs and opinions with a diverse group of people.
The SJLLC will be made up of approximately 50 participants. Ideal participants will be self-directed with interest in civic engagement and want to challenge their thought process on critical social justice and equality issues. The community is meant for students who seek to engage in open and progressive discussions on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, class, age, religion, ability, citizenship, political ideology, and other identities.
Students in the community are involved in a variety of experiences designed to develop a personal sense of social justice and provide ideas for how individuals can work for positive social change. Some of these opportunities include speakers, field trips, and service opportunities that make a difference in the lives of others.
As a result of participating in the Social Justice Living Learning Community students will:
- Develop a strong support network of peers
- Engage in activities that promote academic and social success
- Develop leadership and interpersonal skills through involvement in community and campus activities
- Develop networks with faculty, upper-level students, and staff at Arkansas State University
- Enrolled full-time in courses at Arkansas State University
- Good standing with the University (academic and conduct)
How to Apply: Students should indicate this Learning Community on their residence hall or apartment application. You must also request the Social Justice Den application by sending an email to email@example.com stating that you are interested and would like to request an application.
If you have already applied for housing and did not indicate this Learning Community and would like to participate within the community, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Justice Living Learning Community Application Process:
- Those that select this LLC on their residence hall or apartment application will then receive a “Social Justice LLC” application via email within 48 to 72 business hours.
- All individuals who wish to live in the community must complete the application by June 22nd.
- Applicants will be notified by July 1st if they have been selected for a space.
**Please note that simply selecting the “Social Justice LLC” on your residence hall or apartment application does not guarantee you admission into the Social Justice LLC.