- Work assigned hours at the desk. If unable to work the assigned hours, it is the Desk Assistant's responsibility to find a replacement. The replacement must be another Desk Assistant or Resident Assistant employed at the time in the same hall as the Desk Assistant.
- Answer the desk telephone promptly and professionally.
- Take accurate and complete messages for hall staff.
- Transfer phone calls when appropriate.
- Accept packages for hall residents and properly log packages in logbook.
- Record information concerning hall equipment checkout. Inspect equipment for damages upon return of equipment.
- Monitor noise levels in the lobby area and confront excessive noise levels.
- Administer the hall's visitation policy.
- Be courteous and friendly to hall residents, staff, and guests.
- Accurately record detailed maintenance concerns in the repair request log.
- Notify Residence Hall Director, Resident Assistant, or Residence Life Office of emergencies.
- Perform the administrative procedures outlined for lockouts. Procedure involves verifying identification, signing out key, and documenting.
- Be neat in appearance.
- Direct visitors/residents in hall to appropriate people/places for assistance.
- Attend all meetings called by the Residence Hall Director or his/her designee.
- Aid the Residence Hall Director in the opening and/or closing of the residence hall.
- Maintain an appropriate office atmosphere.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Be a full time Arkansas State University student.
- Must have and maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA at all times.
- Must have a minimum 2.25 last semester GPA.
- Ability to relate to others.
Desk Assistants´ appointments are made on a semester basis. Reappointment is not automatic for the succeeding semester but will be made on an evaluation of previous performance. Based on justifiable reasons such as violation of policy, insubordination, etc., a Desk Assistant's position may be terminated.
Desk Assistants receive minimum wage.