On Friday, February 10th, 2017 we started the residence halls wireless upgrade project. This project has been brewing behind the scenes for quite some time now and we have been installing hardware for months. The plan is to install approximately 1200 Aerohive wireless access points throughout the resident halls in order to create 100% 802.11ac Wave Two wireless coverage. We are completing this project currently and hope to have it completely finished in just a few weeks.
If you need support, please fill out the form by clicking HERE.
LEGACY CONNECTION INFORMATION
The following buildings have NOT been upgraded to the new system yet: The Village. Use the following instructions for connectivity:
- For all laptops, smartphones, and tablets – Connect to AstateSecure. AstateSecure will prompt for a username and password. Please use your AState username and password to connect to this network. Please accept or trust any certificates if your device prompts you.
- For all other devices, such as Smart TVs, game consoles, AppleTVs, Chromecasts, Rokus, Amazon devices, etc. - Connect to AstateGuest. AstateGuest does not require a username and the password is "WoLfguest1!" (no quotes). We do not recommend printers on this network as they will be able to be discovered anywhere on the wireless network.
NEW CONNECTION INFORMATION
The following information is for: Arkansas Hall, Collegiate Park, Honors 1-4, Kays Hall, North Park Quads, Pack Place, Red Wolf Den, ROTC, STEM, The Circle, and University Hall. We are currently working on upgrading The Village and should have them done soon.
Connectivity in the residence halls has changed dramatically over the summer, but we have designed something we think that students will enjoy immensely. We have teamed with RGNets and Aerohive to create a wireless network that works very similarly to your home network. In the past, certain devices such as printers and Chromecasts and the like have not been compatible with our wireless network. There were a lot of technical reasons for this, but the short version is that those reasons are gone now. Basically, every student will have their own private network that all of their devices belong to and that all wireless devices should be compatible with. If you are familiar with the AState wireless network, the method of connecting some devices will be exactly the same as you have used in the past, but there are a couple of more steps for other devices. Here are the instructions for connectivity:
- For all laptops, smartphones, and tablets – Connect to AstateSecure. If you've used the AState wireless network previously, then this is exactly like you've connected in the past and how you'll connect outside of the residence halls. AstateSecure will prompt for a username and password. Please use your AState username and password to connect to this network. Please accept or trust any certificates if your device prompts you.
- For all other devices, such as Smart TVs, game consoles, AppleTVs, Chromecasts, Rokus, printers, Amazon devices, etc. use the following:
- From a laptop, smartphone, or tablet that you have already connected to AstateSecure, navigate to https://resnetportal.astate.edu This is the online portal that you will use to register all of your other devices.
- You should see that it has auto-logged you into the portal. Click the "Devices" link in the top right-hand corner.
- Now enter the MAC address (some devices call this the WiFi Address, the Hardware Address, or the Physical Address) of the device you want added to your personal network and click the "add" button. NOTE: if you are adding a gaming console, check the "Public IP" box before clicking the "add" button.
- If you don't know how to find the MAC address of your device, click the "Help me find my MAC address" link.
- If your device is not listed, try a Google search like "find mac address [device name]". You should find instructions within the first couple of results. If you still have issues, please submit a work order at http://www.astate.edu/a/satech/internet-connection/index.dot and we will help you find it. Or you can use the support form at the top of this page.
- Now that your device is registered, go to the device who's MAC address you just added and join that device to the wireless network AstateSecure or AstateOnboard. That device should now be able to get to the internet as well as be discovered by your other devices.
- Wired devices need to be registered as well.
- If your room doesn't have a network port or that port is already in use with another device please use one of the following to connect your devices:
- We recommend an AC1750 (or higher) USB to wireless adapter. Other adapters will work as well, but may provide a slower connection.
- Also, you may try to use a wireless bridge. A wireless bridge is a device that connects to your computer's Ethernet port and then acts as a wireless client. We haven't done any testing with these yet, but they should work and usually they are relatively easy to set up.
- Just a reminder that any devices you add to your portal will only be able to communicate with the internet and any other device that has been set up on your individual portal. There are plans to add shared users in the future, but that is a few months out still.
- Your registered devices will not be available outside of the residence halls.
NOTE: In some instances, you'll need to restart your device or wireless after registration to have it function properly. In general, if the wireless isn't working the first step should always be to restart your wireless or your device. Also, if you are connecting via Ethernet cable, you can try to unplug it from the wall and then reconnect it.