Welcome to Arkansas State University!

International Health Insurance

2014 - 2015 Health Insurance Policy

International students are required by the US government to have health insurance. Students are required to enroll in Health Insurance provided through A-State. The cost of the insurance is charged to the student's account prior to the start date of upcoming semester and can be paid through the cashier's window like tuition and fees. Students will be enrolled 1 month prior to the start of the first semester. The health insurance does not cover students in their home country. Therefore students can choose to have a second policy but they are still required to purchase insurance through A-State.



Do I have to have A-State’s insurance policy?
Yes, all international students are required to have insurance through AIG. This was a policy set by the Board of Trustees (BOT) which is the governing board of the university.

What insurance company does A-State go through?
A-State uses American International Group (AIG) for international students. If you would like to get a brochure you can download it from their website www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/AR/ASUI

How do I get my insurance card?
Steps to Getting Your Insurance Card for All International First-Time users:

  1. Go to www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/AR/ASUI/
  2. On right hand side, click the orange "click here" button under Account login.
  3. Click 'Set Up New Account'
  4. After you log in, go to 'Student Options' which is located at the top.
  5. Click the drop down 'Print ID Card'

Steps to Getting Your Insurance Card for All International Returning Users:

  1. Go to www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/AR/ASUI/
  2. On right hand side, click the orange "click here" button under Account Login. 
  3. Click 'Access Your Account'
  4. After you log in, go to 'Student Options' which is located at the top.
  5. Click the drop down 'Print ID Card'

How do I use my insurance card?
When you are sick and go to a health clinic, hospital, or seek any medical treatment you must take a copy of your insurance card. You must always carry a copy of insurance card.


How do I enroll in the insurance if I am an F1/J1 student?
If you are F1 and/or J1 student, you are automatically enrolled in the insurance. This is done every semester. If you want to add a dependent, please see “How do I add my dependents to my insurance policy?”

How do I add my dependents to my insurance policy?
To add a dependent to your insurance, follow the following steps:

  1. Go to www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/AR/ASUI/
  2. On the right hand side of the homepage, Click on “Account Login”.
  3. Enter your Email and Password, you will be directed to Insurance Card.
  4. In the top menu, select “Students Options” and then “Add dependents”.

How long is my insurance valid? 
We are required to insure all international students for the duration of their studies at ASU.


How much does insurance cost?
Prior to registration, your insurance charges must be paid. Insurance is $82 a month and is based on 6 months enrollment. Premiums are $410 for Fall, $573 for Spring & Summer. Your student account will be charged each semester.

How do I pay for my insurance? 
All insurance charges will appear on your Self-Service student account before Priority Registration begins. You may pay it online or at Cashiers window. You must pay before you will be eligible to enroll in courses.

Do I need to pay if I go to a doctor? 
Students need to pay a deductible and copay when visiting a clinic, doctor, or hospital. For more information call customer services number on the insurance card. For details call 888-622-6001

 What do I pay if I go to the Student Health Center (SHC)? 
The Student Health Center offers their services at a discounted rate and they do not take insurance of any kind. They may ask you for your insurance information to keep in your medical records. Each student is responsible to pay for any treatment or visits to the SHC. All charges will be applied to your student account.


What is covered through AIG?
This information can be found online at www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/AR/ASUI/

Are prescription drugs covered?
Call customer service 888-622-6001

Are maternity expenses covered?
Yes, if you are the primary carrier. For details please view online brochure.


How long do I have to file a claim with the insurance company?
Call Customer Service 888-622-6001

What do I do if I get a bill? Or the doctor says I owe them money?
Call Customer Service 888-622-6001 right away.